Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 95 11:51:57 MST
From:         aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca
Subject:      Re: DaBoat 2-liter update - it lives! (long)availability of Cofap piston/liners

Your comment about Cofap going out of the VW piston/liner bussiness just about gave me a heart attack since I was going to rebuild a 1800cc this winter sometime. I checked with my part supplier (Bow-wow parts in Surrey BC Canada 1-800-663-6822) and they have lots of Cofap piston/liners sets. His supplier gets them directly out of Brazil. My current 1700 uses them and I have no complaints. Of course I was paranoid enough to weight all the pistons, and check the piston cylinder clearances and the ring end gap but that is just my way of rebuilding things. About your hydralic lifters, I got a kit from Weber cams (Not Web-cam) and the instructions stated to run them with air in them from about 20 minutes with a 0.006 inch clearance (like solid lifters) After the air was out ( ie unable to compress them at all by prying on the rocker arm with a screw driver) they could be adjusted to zero clearance. They were somewhat vague on the preload idea so I adjusted them to zero clearance with the engine as hot as i could get it. This made them too tight when cold but at zero lash when the engine was hot. I will probably take them out and look at them next summer to make sure that they are OK. Can't do it now since the wife needs the other car (it is cold in Alberta these days) and the van is needed for the car pool to work.

Does anyone know the 800 number for VW of Canada. I have a 88 Fox and though there is somesort of recall on it the dealer has been sitting on his hands about it.

Bye for now

Andy Burczyk

'73 van '88 Fox