Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Dec 1995 15:05:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: Cruise control for '80-82 Vanagon

>Anybody put cruise control on your bus? My right knee has never liked >driving, but ever since the patellar cartilage was removed it >has HATED it... I measure trips in aspirin and limit them by driving >days I know the knee can survive (4, if I'm lucky). > >I'm hoping that the newly rebuilt engine will have enough >additional power so that I won't have to break out the oars on >every hill,

I put it on a '69 bus, but it didn't have enough power, as could be expected. Your Vanagon might have enough, though. Two places cruises and buses don't get along: (1.) Engine power, obviously, and (2.) Engine vacuum to actuate the servo (most cruises have vacuum servos).

Roughly speaking, engine vacuum is a function of how far down you're pushing the accelerator pedal. The farther you're pushing the pedal down, the harder your engine is working, and the less vacuum you have. Since many VWs spend large amounts of time with the accelerator flat on the floor, they are poor candidates for vacuum-powered devices such as cruise controls.

Anyone who has ever driven an old Jeep with its vacuum-powered windshield wipers, which stop when you floor the pedal, knows what I'm talking about.

A cruise control opens a valve to let vacuum into a plunger that opens the throttle. Perversely, when you open the throttle, you get less vacuum. Larger engines have enough extra vacuum to work well anyway, but guess where a VW falls on that scale.

JC Whitney sells many different kinds of cruise control, and they also sell a little plastic can called a "vacuum reservoir", with some hose connections and a one-way valve to save a bunch of vacuum from the last time your engine had any. Not a bad idea for a small engine in a big car.

If you get one of these reservoirs, then a cruise control should work OK in a vanagon, on mostly flat ground. If it ever has to go up a significant hill,though (as you know), a cruise control won't help-- especially if it couldn't maintain speed up that hill BEFORE you installed the cruise control, obviously.

You'll probably need to buy a bunch of 18-ga stranded wire, and splice a 15-foot length into each wire of the harness that goes from the cruise control body (in the engine compartment) to the control module that mounts on or near the steering wheel. No big deal if you have a soldering iron.

Try to find a cruise control that has an adjustable "gain" control. The manufacturer doesn't know in advance, how much to open the throttle to get a certain amount of push from the engine-- the bigger the engine, the more push you get from one inch of throttle movement, for example. Some manufacturers try to strike a "happy medium" with their cruise controls, which invariably shortchanges VWs. Others provide a hole you can stick a screwdriver and adjust a screw inside there. Then, when it's time to open the throttle to maintain speed up a hill, the cruise control knows not to bother with subtlety, but just open it a LOT. Some "gain" adjustments are done with a screw, while other manufacturers use banks of switches that you set in various combinations for more powerful or less powerful engines.

I'm going to put one sometime into the V6anagon, but that's a different story-- plenty of vacuum to spare with that CHevy V6 engine.

BTW, JC Whitney used to sell a cruise control with an electric-motor servo instead of a vacuum servo. No vacuum tap needed! But I think they no longer distribute it-- haven't seen it in their catalog in a few years. Six years ago I put one of those into an '80 Honda Accord, which was no great shakes in the acceleration department. It worked beautifully for a few years, then pooped out-- maybe due to my poor installation.

Good luck-- let me know how it goes.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon '71 VW Transporter