Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Dec 1995 08:56:24 -0400
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Stripped Bleeder Bolt (Postmortem)

>radiator. Any comments about this unorthodox method? I'm planning on >bleeding the usual way this weekend to see if there is air in the system to

Seems pretty doubtful it would work at all. Make a little scale drawing of radiator and heater core at front, being about 3 feet tall then draw 15 feet of pipe from the botom of the rad back to the engine. You end up with the letter 'L' on its back. Now ask yourself 'if I raise the long leg of the '____|' up how are the airbubbles in the top of the rad going to get out?' You are not pumping air out when you bleed it, you are pumping water in! Air rises/pushed out through bleed hole when done a la Bentley. That's why the mechanics way won't work. No chance to epoxy the threaded insert/plug back in? And just exactly who stripped out the insert, maybe this is why your mechanic bleeds it this way, hmmmm? Get out the bright lights and the sodium pentathol. Tim Smith