Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         20 Dec 1995 09:01:57 U
From:         "Kirk van Druten" <kirk@lansharks.batnet.com>
Subject:      Re: MEXICO TRIP--BUS PREP

Reply to:RE>MEXICO TRIP--BUS PREP Hi Joe,

I use baking soda to clean the inside of the water tank in my 88. I don't know if the earlier Westies have an access to the tank. Assuming you do, if it's really grungy inside you could use a small amount of bleach diluted in water to scrub it out. Make sure you rinse it out *very* well before you fill the tank for drinking.

Maybe I'm over cautious but I'd throw in a few bottles/cans of water remover in case you get a tank full of funky gas. Sometimes some octane booster helps reduce pinging if the gas you get is really cheesy. Extra fanbelt(s), fuel pump, fuel filter, coil, heck anything you have could really come in handy. If you have a spare, take it. An extra gas can is nice to increase your off-road cruising range.

I went on a 10 trip to Punta San Carlos to surf/windsurf last spring. We froze most our food and used dry ice to keep everything frozen. With duct tape to seal the top of the coolers and keeping them out of the sun, we had ice cream after 6 days in the middle of the desert! The caravan I went along with consisted of mostly Toyota 4x4's. They all wined on the way down that I couldn't keep up with them cruising at 75+mph on the freeway and blasting around off-road. Boy that sure changed when it was time to eat, sleep, cook or relax. I think I counted 10 people in/on my Westie one afternoon, cowering from the sun. Wish I had a nickel for everytime I heard someone say 'man, I'd buy one of these things if it had a bigger motor and some serious 4 wheel running gear on it'.

Have a blast-hope you get some good waves!

Kirk out 88 Westie (