Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         21 Dec 1995 09:05:23 -0800
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      More on "Clutchless in Ca."

Well, back in town after 5 days. The dealer has had the van since a week ago Monday afternoon. We had a rental '96 Plymouth Caravan (comments about that in a moment) because we were headed out of town Friday and needed volumnous transportation.

Called the dealer a few maoments ago (8:30 AM), yes the van is ready. I asked if the fan belts had been tightented per my request. Normally this is something I'd do myself, but when I had the long block installed, the guy must have used a cheater bar on the wrench to tighten the 3 bolts on the waterpump pulley, because I have tried several times and can't loosen them a bit. Well, the mechanic was unavailable, no notation on the paperwork, so a delay until noon while that is (re)attended to. Needless to say, I'm not really pleased!

About the rental. They arranged the rental of a '96 Plymouth Caravan ( the cost of only part of which they are covering). This is a brand new vehicle, it had only 9 miles on it when we picked it up. The engine (3 L V6) and automatic tranny seem to be pretty smooth. Starts and runs smoothly, no flat spots or hesitation cold or warm. Gets the van moving nicely, cruise on the highway at 65 or so no sweat. Very quiet power train, shifts are almost imperceptable - you really have to be listening and "feeling" for them. Noise inside is very quiet, mostly road/tire noise on rough road surfaces, and a bit of minor wind "rushing" noise. Guess I've been driving stick shifts too long though, couldn't help but be aware of the "slip" through the transmission when I went to accellerate. I also find that the ride/handling is pretty much what I consider typical of an American car, soft, isolated from road feel and feedback, kind of "mushy" compared to the Vanagon or my older 5 series BMW. The Vanagon handles and corners much more precisely with a lot less body roll (considering we are talkng about a high center of gravity Box here). Brenda, my wife, said something to the effect "that's just you, you like bumpy ride - you've always complained about "mushy" cars". I noticed LOTS of plastic inside and out. Not only interior panels and compartment doors and covers, but also interior latches, exterior door handles. Offhand, I'd say that everything in sight inside is plastic of one type or another with the exception of the seat frames and seatbelt buckles (male end). IF they have choosen the correct plastic, AND the plastic is treated with appropriate UltraViolet radiation absorbers so that it will stand up to the sunlight over time, then I guess that plastic is inexpensive, readily fabricated, and light weight, all desirable properties. The question I have (as one who tends to own a vehicle "forever") is whether or not the vehicle will hold up over time. My major complaint is that the thing is TOO SMALL. Because there were 8 of us on this trip, we took 2 cars, the van and my car. There was room in the van behind the rearmost seat for a port-a-crib w/matress, 2 full sized suitcases and half a dozen smaller items. We stuffed disasembeled IV poles, small baskets of toys for the kids, a case or two of formula, and some other small items on the floor in front of the feet of the two little ones, under seats, etc. Everything else went into the trunk and rear seat of my sedan. This in comparison to the Vanagon, (that once brought a dishwasher home behind the not folded down rear seat!) that on similar trips has carried everything and everybody. Now, if I could get the power of the Caravan and fuel economy of the diesel into the van . . . Actually, that's not fair, fuel economy of the Caravan doesn't seem bad. We didn't keep accurate records as I usually try to, but I was sent to fill the tank once and with about 300 -350 miles since the last fill up, it took about 11.5 gal -- thats anywhere between 26 - 30 mpg.

Anyway, I'm back on the list and wishing all of you still similarly present the best of everything - Happy Hoidays Harvey