Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         3 Oct 1995 12:14:53 +1000
From:         "King, Robert" <king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au>
Subject:      RE[2]: Enging transplants, radiators on ba

Hi Bob,

A few more details on fitting a rotary into a bus. My brother-in-law and I put a 13B bridgeport rotary into his 76 (2 litre) Kombi. As a point of interest fitting the rotary was cheaper than rebuilding the 2 litre (at least here in AUS). He also runs it on LP gas. Sorta scary being in a Kombi that revs forever.....

Basic components on bus side are flywheel, bellhousing, clutch and pressure plate and starter. On rotary side is engine, engine mounts and alternator...

OK, there are a couple of bit you may have to 'take out' to have machined but that is it. The first thing is that the VW flywheel has to have new holes drilled (and the old filled if you're tidy) so that it can be bolted up to the rotary crank - it 'sits right on there' and bolts up with no worries.

The second thing is the transmission/engine adaptor plate. This was manufatured from 1/2" plate and having it machined out by 1/4" so that the VW bellhousing sat in a 'spigot joint' seemed to get everything right in terms of spacing (ie clutch action, starter meshing on flywheel teeth properly).

This all bolted together nicely and then all we had to do was fabricate a front engine mount (front is front of engine) - we ran some plate up to the 'normal' chassis holes and welded the standard rotary engine mounts onto a bit of 2" X 1" tube running between these plates.....

As I said, run two pipes the length of the bus to a radiator mounted in the front connect with some bits of universal radiator hose and that's it. The rotary water pump has enough push to keep everything cool. It's probably offensive to the purist (but it's not a split right?)

It is an 'easy' conversion. I think I read on this list some time ago that there is an engineering place in the states (California?) *Kennedy Engineered products?* that sells kits for all sorts of conversions and rotaries were mentioned - you may be able to pick up a complete conversion kit or just an adaptor plate (which is the 'hardest' bit to do) off the shelf for a reasonable price?

Rob K.

_________________________ Robert King king@tanelorn.aod.dsto.gov.au