Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 1995 10:12:33 -0500
From:         djenkins@foxboro.com (Drew Jenkins)
Subject:      Syncro Westy conversion

This is the contents of a response I received from Tim regarding his Syncro Westy conversion. He wanted me to post it to the list for all to enjoy so here it is:

Tim replied to me:

> >You are a charm for such an extensive response. Thanks a million. :-) > > Di Nada! and.. > > Ooops, er.... I need a favour! If you saved that post of mine, could you > forward it to vanagon@lenti, I have had 2 other requests for details, I must > be the first kid on the block with a new toy or something. I must write it > up formally for the FAQs sometime over the holidays. I flushed my out box! > Happy hunting.

And now here is Tim's initial response to my query of his Westy conversion.

>Our concern is that our Syncro is in excellent condition, and we'd >rather not get rid of this one for something that probably will not be >in as good condition.

Keep it!!! The Syncro is far more unique than the Westy, and you know it inside out/trust it, I imagine. Keep it!!!!~!!!

>My question is, how did you find the junk donor Westy,

>From this list of course!! Only took 2 years, but vanagons are dying more often nowadays, so...Just ask and ye shall receive. Tell people to watch out for one and to check it out for you. You will have to and should pull/pickup. My donor was an '84 in great shape, but someone scrounged the tables, curtains and rear mattress between the time I called the junkyard and said I'll take it and when I got there. I was highly p*ssed, after driving 750 miles, to find that out. Cost $450, would've been $300-350 for just interior. Glad I took the roof.

and how hard is the >conversion? I feel I'm quite capable ofdoing the interior work myself,

Insides are easy, but I didn't have AC!! That could be a pain unless you luck in to an AC Westy, which is feasible. You need to drill several 8mm holes through floor for holdown bolts, nuts+big washers outside. And you need propane, waste and fresh water drains, all done easily with metal cutting hole saw and 3/8" or bigger sturdy electric drill. The propane tank is also drill/bolt on. Be aware that your roof tin structure is NOT the same as the Westy, very different beast. This makes mounting the rear overhead storage compartment difficult, again, with AC??? You need to jigsaw fridge propane vent and electric/H2O fill + city holes into side. I just did electric and fridge. May do H2O but doubtful, city water tap hook-up struck me as ridiculous, esp. with electric pump in tank. Water fill is easy through 6" inspection hatch, definately easier with outside hookup though, so I will likely cut one more hole. Measure twice cut once?, try measure 10 times!!! making templates etc. would be best. having the donor vehicle available would help too!

To mount the roof stuff, the rack has 8 nut/bolts so drill the roof up front. I have not done the poptop yet, it is just barely screwed on at the hinges/rear, held down with ratchet strap up front. Let you know this spring/summer. To do the roof I will cut 4' square hole and retain as much of headliner as needed. Roll a lip over, add some vinyl molding to tie in the headliner. This is how all older <'69 Westys were done, small poptops added to normal van.

Vanagon Westys have the bedboard for rear ceiling, panelling up front. You could easily transplant the panelling though. The bed mounts will take some refitting, since I will retain the rear original tin roof, the Westy has a different centre roof beam, compatible with the bed. If you had the time/patience you can cut out the entire Westy roof structure, be a huge picture frame, 10' x 5' with a crossbeam, and get a body shop to do a careful spotweld job. Likely big $$. Awkward. I will DIY, using only the Syncro roof. We have a 5 year old, he will fit up top for a while without needing the extra folding bed length, <2', so we get headroom and he gets bed, doing it the easy way. Reinforcing plates are needed at the poptop rear hinges and front lockdown. Will advise details when I've done this.

I bought a 4x8 sheet of of 1/4" underlay plywood, Meranti mahogany, cheapest. This cuts up to fit the floor space and sits on top of your sound padding. Gives better insulation/noise than the Westy had. Westy carpet fits loose on top, must get a real plush remnant for luxo feeling. Kitchen vinyl flooring is a great idea, may add it, like old Westys. All this raises the interior maybe 1/4 - 3/8" over Westy, no problem at all! I cut the ply so that the middle section lifts out when the carpet is out. I reversed the frame rails for the middle seat to be next to the door. When I want a 6 seater I roll up the carpet, pop the ply out and slide in the bench, just fits, forget the fridge access. 10 mins. work. I also replaced all the interior panels in rear with 1/8" pressboard panelling, white Melamine faced, brightens it up, suits the Westy 'kitchen' and is scrubbable.

>and I don't mind spending money at a body shop to have the top done correctly.

Me too. You would need help, the top is a 3 person lift job! The 4' hole I have done before, on a '78, easy job, be patient. Do you have marginal tinman skills? This is not a precision job, only tools are a jigsaw, crescent wrench to help bend the 1/2" lip down at 90 degrees, and a hammer+body dolly for final tapping/neatening. Took an afternoon last time, tiny amount of painting touch-up at saw edges. Doing a factory job would be great, get the cross beam and picture frame section of roof, yo need the lip of the picture frame to hold the bed. I couldn't do this as about 1100 miles was between the junkyard and home, so I took what I could. Really want the proper fitting 8' long roof/bed, so I will take my time, might have to scavenge a crossbeam afterall. Likely beyond me to make it work well, I can't weld.

Will properly post this procedure when done. If you want a Westy fast, the interior is really a snap, weekend for installation, maybe 3 days max. Provided all needed parts are at hand. AC??? Do the roof later, like me. Best for you to strip the donor, get better aquainted that way. You can assess the installation requirements as you go. In fact I wouldn't try it without doing the dismantling yourself. Get an electric screwdriver too!! I didn't, :(. Bottom line on this is... If you can fit all the Westy stuff in for a full factory clone you will DOUBLE the value of the vehicle, for $500 plus labour. Go price a Syncro Westy!

Good luck, I've done four of these, '75 '78,'85,'87, roofs only in '78 and '87(to do) The '75 and '78 I sold for double my money after 2-3 years use each, '85 I had for 9 years, got 50% of original price, 65K miles later, breakeven? Life in a Westy is great, lived 6 months in European winter skiing all over, no poptop, nice and warm! Oh, :), while swapping over interior.. rust spray then fill all the body cavities with 4" fiberglass house insul. + vapour barrier, sorry forgot that. It helped noticeably over last years cooler drives, warms fast in -20F. Tim Smith

PS: don't sell the Syncro, did I mention that already? ;>