Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         04 Dec 1995 11:58:11 EST
From:         "Tom Forhan" <TFORHAN@hr.house.gov>
Subject:      Re[3]: Engine transplant ideas??

On the length issue, Tim Smith has measured the space in his Syncro and, with Audi engine data from a junkyard, it appears feasible. The tilting thing, yeah, 50 degrees is a bunch.

The biggest concern though, is the oil pan on syncros. Dry sumping is the obvious thing, and it is not difficult, however, you need a three stage oil pump, run externally with a belt scheme, and the price of the pump is about $2000! Plus fabrication of the brackets, the new minimum volume oil pan, the pickups, the oil tank, the ss hose. Price advantage of the Audi or some of the v-6 alternatives is out the window! Mind you, these additional complication only holds for syncros, but that is what most interests me, and you, and several others on the list.

So it seems Syncro owners need to think flat. Now, the Subaru sounds OK, 155 HP seems about right. Any ideas on the junkyard price (its a relatively new production engine)? Plus we add several hundred to Kennedy Engineering for an adapter. The bottom line?

Since I have recently become the owner of a second wasserboxer engine in need of serious rebuilding, the Ottinger option starts to run through my head, once again. Increase the displacement, and follow Bob Hoover's Sermons on free horsepower as the rebuild progresses. This is where I was, philosophically, weeks ago. But now I have the second engine ;-).

Tom F. 90 Syncro Westie 87 Syncro GL (expected to arrive late this week, DOA) 90 Audi 200 TQW

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: Re: Engine transplant ideas?? Author: SYNCROHEAD (INTERNET.SYNCROHE) at HR Date: 12/1/95 8:02 PM

Yeah, I think "fit" is probably a bigger problem than you might think. Regarding the length and your statement that "We know the engines are not too long", they're not too long in the Vanagon diesel application because the transmissions were mounted further forward with the axles canted backwards to reach the normal wheel locations. This arangement was said to create additional stress on the CV joints beacuse of the need to continouusly cycle through a high angle range. When the wasserboxer was announced VW made a point of mentioning this. The axles were probably even longer to reach the proper location. Also you say, "we can tilt it a bit, if necessary". I think that the diesels were tipped over at about 50 degrees to clear the decklid. This is far more than "a little bit".

I think that the fitment problems of any in-line engine are significant. The wasserboxer is about 2.5 cylinders long. The Rabbit/Jetta engines are 4 cylinders long and the Audi engines are about twice as long as the wasserboxer at 5 cylinders. I see the only more difficult engine to fit than the 5 would be an in-line 6. I think it might be wise to keep in mind flat or V engine configuration engines.

The flat ones of course are ideal for an easy fit, but other than Porsche & VW, there's only Subaru. Subaru has both flat 4s and flat 6es. Their newest 4cyl is 2.5 liters and makes about 155HP. I know, I know, it's not VW/Audi. It's not German. It's not even European or American! But, all thing considered it might be the best alternative. I think Syncros should be able to live with 155HP.

Then there are V6 engines from every (almost) automaker on the planet. The V configuration has 2 significant advantages over the in-line engines. 1. Their cylinder banks are already tilted over thus being lower than an in-line engine without cocking them at some extreme angle. I think most ar 60 degree Vs (each cylinder bank tilted 30 degrees from vertical), but a 90 degree V6 would be easier to fit. I don't know specifically if there are any 90 degree V6es. I do know that V8s are made in both 60 and 90 degree configurations. 2. The length of a V6 is 3.5 cylinders - only 1 cylinder longer than the wasserboxer. Some small V6 may exist that would fit lengthwise without having to move the transmission forward at all - a big advantage.

Well, there's my two cents worth. I know both the flat & V solutions are far from the Vanagons roots, but realistically speaking seem the most plausable.

Jim Davis 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg