Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 1995 09:51:00 -0700
From:         john@nbs.gov (John W Clark)
Subject:      Re: dash lights

I have an 82 westie and I had a similar experience.

One early morning (early enough to need lights) on the way to work I noticed that my dash lights had gone out, 'odd' I thought. Then I noticed smoke coming out of the light switch.

I pulled the switch and found the wiper arm (that adjusts dash light level) was discolored and bent, maybe too much heat. So I bent the arm back and put it back in. This happened again but this time it was beyond repair. I picked up another switch from the junk yard and on one other occasion there was a small amount of smoke from the switch but so far it hasn't totally failed.

hope this helps

john

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: dash lights Author: ervolina@watson.ibm.com at NBS-Internet-Gateway Date: 12/22/95 9:24 AM

On the way to work this morning there was a faint 'pop' and the dash lights went dead (the ones that illuminate the dash when the headlights are on). Fortunately the headlights are ok. Everything else seems to be ok too (including the warning lights inside the dash). Fuses are ok. This is an '87 GL.

There are two bulbs (one for the speedo side and one for the tach side) right? If so, its unlikely that both would blow simultaneously. Is there a relay involved that may be the cause? We're leaving tomorrow afternoon for a 400 mile road trip. Looks like I'll be in the dark ...

Tom