Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 1995 12:12:36 PST
From:         Clay_Perry@we.xerox.com (Perry,Clay)
Subject:      Camper cabinets

Happy Solstice Vanaganoids!

I need to buy a set of cabinets for my 78 Westie (PO removed them in a fit of serious cranial rectitus) and I found a set at a local salvage yard. The yard boss said they came from a 76 and includes: propane tank, Sink cabinet with burners and all the plumbing, rear side cabinet, upper cabinet, and the cooler unit. The guy said it was an electric fridge unit and showed me a control panel which looked to be a battery gauge and a switch between AC and DC. The cabinets are in good condition with minor delaminating that could be fixed, asking price is $275 which I felt was a tad steep. My questions are: is this a fair price? Is the electric fridge worth the hassle of dealing with battery drain? Do the internal stoves work well? I was looking for something similar in functionality to my 71 which was pretty simple but the thought of on board propane has my interest up.

Thanks Clay

PS. In walking through the lot looking at one dead Bus after another it struck me that most Busses in junkyards die slow deaths by being hammered until they can't go any more and then sold for scrap. I looked around and saw other cars that had been in major accidents (including a 914 burned to the ground) and died instantly but no busses, kind of made me sad.