Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 1995 14:46:43 -0800 (PST)
From:         brandys@ichips.intel.com
Subject:      Re: Re[2]: Heater Box

ok, i have a rust paint question.

i have some rust spots, i want to treat them now so they don't get any worse, and take care of it for good this summer when the sun comes back out (i have no garage to work in:(

so i: 1) get all loose rust off 2) sand the spot down pretty well 3) here's my question...

i have a two part treatment, ones a primer and ones a stop/rust thing (not very technical i know). they are both spray paint type cans. what happens to the existing, non rusted paint that gets one or both of these on that area? will it make the paint chip/crack and fall away, or will it seal it also, until i can get to it?

>boxes warmer, I don't know. (perhaps someone who understands the physics >involved can explain to me why color matters for heat conductivity--is >that the word?--, even in dark places.)

conduction is heat transfered via molecular collisions. a spoon held over a flame, the flame heats up the part of the spoon it is in contact with, those molecules speed up, collide with its neighbors till the whole spoon is nice and hot. color has nothing to do with conduction.

heat transfered by radiation (the sun radiates heat to the earth, engine parts get hot and radiate heat to other parts. ) the color of an object helps to determine how much heat it will absorb from the hotter objects around it. a dark color will absorb more heat (thus becoming hotter) while a lighter colored object will reflect more of the heat (absorbing less, stays cooler) think of the difference between wearing a black tshirt versus a white tshirt on a hot, bright summer day.

DISCLAIMER: there are MANY factors that determine how objects can heat up, color is only one of them:)

forgive me, i modeled heat transfer equations for awhile.

-- \ / A. Brandy Smith (brandys@ichips.intel.com) \ / (503)264-4239 Pole:JF1-E18 \ X / Intel Corp MD6 networks \ / \ / **************************************** \/ \/ ***"EVERYTHING IS BETTER IN THE BUS!"*** 1973 CAMPER ****************************************