Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 95 21:27:22 EST
From:         John Anderson <ja@coe.wvu.edu>
Subject:      Price opinions on a '83 Westy

Well after missing on the '84 auto van and still needing heated transport for the winter I have come upon another and seek opinions. At the local VW certified repair/parts place today looking for a few tidbits (bulbs for the instrument panel lights on the '78) I see two early eggnog colored wasserboxer westy's, both look bery nice. Parts lady I know well says, yeah BTW you could get a real deal on that '83. I thought '83 was still AC but no its a wasserboxer and guess what, only 68,000 miles origional and you guessed it, severe head gasket problems. Owner is a bit miffed at the projected $3000 repair apparently and metnioned he might sell. Now they wouln't give me his name but gave mine to him so I hope for a call. Thing is this looking at it its a real nice van, mileage is accurate and origional, interior very pristine, exterior showing 10+ years outdoors, a little oxidized but clean and only a tad of rust on a few seams. So my question, if he calls, whats a fair offer on this beast. AVP quoted me $1700 for a full rebuild on a 1.9 regardless of the level of work needed on the heads, so I'm quite interested. If this were in tip top running shape I'd be inclined to offer NADA plus up to probably $1000 more for mileage and condition, it really is very nice. Haven't checked the book yet and seek opinions. Oh well give me some ideas everyone.

John ja@coe.wvu.edu oh yeah, soon to change, just found out new ISP just started 12/4 offering service to my new home area, email free, $25/mo for 50 hours WWW access. I'm pretty happy as I was nearly looking at AOL 800 number at nearly $5/hour. Merry Holiday Season to one and all. Now I'm off to find out if a 386 can run WIN95 for my girlfriend (her xmas present the computer that is) should be a real hoot.