Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 1995 22:36:36 -0500 (EST)
From:         Mark Janello <mjanello@umich.edu>
Subject:      Re: Heater Box

On Fri, 22 Dec 1995 brandys@ichips.intel.com wrote:

> ok, i have a rust paint question. > > > i have a two part treatment, ones a primer and ones a stop/rust > thing (not very technical i know). they are both spray paint type > cans. what happens to the existing, non rusted paint that gets one or > both of these on that area? will it make the paint chip/crack and > fall away, or will it seal it also, until i can get to it?

The "stop/rust" thing (I've used Extend, seems OK, some people really like POR-15) will stain paint and make it ugly, so watch where you splatter it (also try not to run over a whole plastic jar of it with your bus (don't ask how I know :-) )). I don't think it will make the paint chip or crack, BUT, if there is rust under the paint, it won't prevent it from spreading. A typical bubble of rust has spread underneath normal-looking paint so when you're sanding, make sure you get to bare metal or at least get off all the paint you're sure is above rust.

Also there are lots of hidden areas that you can't really reach into to sand or paint--chain saw oil or motorcycle chain lube has been highly recommended to slow rust in these areas.

Mark mjanello@umich.edu '62 Kombi trying not to dissolve in the salt zone