Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Dec 1995 23:53:06 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      DaBoat runs, but slowly

Volks, Today I worked the kinks out of the new motor. At least some of them. I had a major exhaust leak where the left heat exchanger bolted to the head, and several oil leaks. First, I fixed the heat exchanger leak. Dropped the muffler and the heat exchanger and sure enough, both copper ring gaskets had gotten scrunched in wierd off-center ways. Oh, one of the exhaust studs came right out of the head with very little force applied, despite my having used anti-sieze on the nuts. I coated the stud with loctite and tightened it in again as best I could. Rebuilt GEX heads. Hmmm... There was a big leak in the rear of the engine - turned out that I had forgotten to reattach the little rubber bellows to the dipstick tube. I installed the bellows, noticing that the fit was not tight. Hmm. Pulled both valve covers, which appeared to be leaking. Both looked alright, so I just wiped them off, turned them upside down, and reinstalled them. A couple of the pushrod tubes appeared to be leaking too, but it was hard to tell. Gave them a twist, to hopefully seat the seals differently. Wiped all of the oil off and took 'er for a test drive. Engine is real quiet with no exhaust leaks. Sounds much throatier than the 1800 did, and very smooth. I attribute this to the hydraulic lifters, and if they hold up I'm never going back to solid lifters. I actually had trouble hearing the engine in third and fourth gears. Good excuse to get that tach I've been wanting. Two other things... the fan was wobbling a little. I checked the bolts and they were nice and tight. Hmmm. Removed the fan to see if I'd caught a piece of junk behind it or something. Cleaned all the parts and reinstalled it. Still tweaked. This is the same fan I had on the 1800, so I know it's not warped. Must be the fan hub, which came off of the vanagon motor. I would replace it with the one from Schneiter's, but I know what a bear it would be to get the one off the engine, so I just leave it and let the fan wobble. Also, the accelerator linkage crossbar was apparently too short to fit the mounts on the carbuerators. I assume it is because of the longer stroke of the two-liter. Take the mounting brackets off, bend them, reinstall. End of problem. Now the biggie. The bus bogs horribly when more than part throttle is used. Feels like it isn't getting any gas. I know it is getting gas, though. These are the same carbs I had been using on the 1800 with no problems, so I suspect something in the electrical system. Tomorrow I'm going to go over the points and timing and make sure they are set properly. I twisted the distributor every which way and it didn't make much difference. Ran best with lots of advance, but still had trouble holding 65 on the freeway. I bought a rebuild kit for the right carb and rebuilt it, just in case, but it didn't help. I just did the right carb cause I had suspected it had problems when on the 1800. The bus idles nice and smooth, hitting on all four, and when you blip the throttle, it sounds perfect. But driving it, it does not respond to full throttle. It just kind of groans, sometimes sputters a little, and slowly goes. Sometimes after it has been idling a while, I can take off in first, floor it, and it feels like it gets full power, but as soon as I hit second gear it feels like it is starving again. My opinions are:

1. The added displacement has thrown off the carbs, and they need to be rejetted. Or...

2. There is something wrong with the electrical system.

Anyone wanna take a stab at solving the mystery?

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================