Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Dec 1995 08:58:36 -0800 (PST)
From:         tfab@netcom.com (thom fitzpatrick)
Subject:      EFI - Caution - dangerous fuel pressure (fwd)

Something from the porsche list...

And Ralph Ricks thus wrote: > From porschephiles-request@tta.com Sat Dec 23 07:02:37 1995 > Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 06:59:47 -0800 > Message-Id: <199512231459.GAA29887@ix3.ix.netcom.com> > From: rickydik@ix.netcom.com (Ralph Ricks ) > Subject: EFI - Caution - dangerous fuel pressure > To: porschephiles@tta.com > > This story applies to all 914's, 912E's and others with high pressure > fuel systems. > > My son's '81 Vanagon with Ljet EFI has had a string of fuel leaks over > the past months, and finally died. The cheap Asian oil pressure gauge > I had installed in the engine room to monitor fuel pressure even > developed a leak and died before that. > > Yesterday I installed a good 0-80 psi gauge and started to find the > trouble. The gauge pegged at well over 120 psi! > > First I looked for a kinked fuel return line as we had tilted the > engine to replace the clutch last summer, but it looked okay. The fuel > pressure regulator was the culprit. It was frozen. I have never seen > one fail before, so naturally I didn't bring a spare the 350 miles from > home. After all, it's just a spring-loaded valve. It makes me wonder > if the corrosives in the "oxygenated" fuels aren't the culprit. > > It didn't matter that a new one is pressure regulator is $80, because > dealers don't stock them. I found one in a pickyourpart yard for $5. > > It is now my guess that the regulator was sticking sometimes before it > died, causing the fuel leaks. > > I have a fuel pressure gauge in the dash of my '76 914 and one in the > engine room of my '73 914. One is going into the dash of each of my > EFI cars right away. Marshall's in Anaheim makes a nice 1 1/2" 0-60 > psi mechanical gauge that I bought at a local bearing and racing supply > house for my '76. It cost $25, and has already saved that much in > fuel, as the car ran fine, but I found when I installed the gauge that > the pressure was 20% too high. > > Ralph > Every electrical failure is due to a mechanical problem. > rickydick >

Thom -- > Frank, the Sun never shone on our love before - Tom sings Thom Fitzpatrick '56 sunroof kombi tfab@netcom.com - ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/tf/tfab/index.html thom@calweb.com http://www.calweb.com/~thom