Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Dec 1995 18:24:30 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Class III Hitches; Skid Plates

Hello Fred, Derick, Beleive it or not Derick, the extra clearence hitch is fabricated excet for the extra brackets needed to support the late model bumpers, (plastic trim pieces). The person that is doing the welding for me is getting slower and slower for me. I guess he isn't getting enough incentive. I,ve just completed 6 more college credits and with the long hours I put in at work and all the vanagon work i've been doing, I just haven't had the time to take on making the hitches myself. I am condidering it. Right now, in addition to the normal load of repair work, I have a backlog of 4 Vanagon tranmissions to rebuild. One is a synchro that is almost done. By the way, you few nuts that abuse your vehicles are the only ones that have even condidered the loss of "Departure angle" an issue. the hitch as originally designed does not extend below the bumper. However, Having the receiver extend from the cross brace instead of from below is not a problem. It should be noted however, that this change increases the distance from the vehicle from to a hitch ball or mounted accesory. This does slight decrease the tounge wieght capability of the hitch.

I hope everyone has a Happy Holiday and I hope to talk to you both soon.

PS. We did travel to Alaska in July, 93. We toured all the usual spots and we drove the Dalton Hwy. to Prudhoe Bay. Believe it or not, we drove 11,700 miles without a flat. However, the rear tires were pretty well worn. I love those Bridgestone Potenzas,(HP-41, 215-70-14).Now have over 60.000 miles on front pair.