Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Dec 1995 11:30:45 -0600 (CST)
From:         Sami Dakhlia <dakhlia@wuecona.wustl.edu>
Subject:      Re: Tom Wilson Head Torquing

On Tue, 26 Dec 1995, Joseph F. Fournier II wrote:

> If anyone out there has the Tom Wilson book "How to Rebuild your VW > aircooled engine," could you refresh me on what the torque is for heads > and the torquing sequence? Please? I want to retorque my heads, but I > don't have this book...and my friend who does is away on holiday.

Joe, here is the quote (pp.134-5):

1. Torque one head to 15 ft-lb. Torque the other head to 15 ft-lb. 2. Torque the first head to 20 ft-lb. Torqur the second head to 23 ft-lb. 3. Torque the first head to 23 ft-lb. Retorque the second head to 23 ft-lb. 4. Retorque the first head to 23 ft-lb. 5. After several minutes, repeat steps 3 and 4.

The previous sequence is for all type 1-3 engines with 10mm studs, and all type 4s. Types 1-3 engines from '73-on with 8mm studs should be final-torqued to only 18 ft-lb. Over-torquing these engines will only result in stretched studs. Engines with 10mm studs and case savers can be safely final-torqued to 28 ft.lb.

[Then there are 2 graphs A and B showing the tightening sequences. The caption says:] Begin torquing on all cylinder heads by snugging head nuts to 7 ft-lb using pattern A. It helps compress pushrod tubes so torque readings won't be artificially high. Final torque sequence at B is different from initial tightening pattern. Crisscrossing distributes torque evenly across head and pattern is same for all heads.

Graph A: 7 5 6 8 <-- upper studs 4 2 1 3 <-- lower studs

Graph B: 8 2 4 6 5 3 1 7

[End] btw, torque for rocker arms is 18 ft-lb.

Have fun!

Sami