Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Dec 1995 14:29:52 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Daboat runs, but slowly - solution!

Volks, DaBoat is finally back on the road, for good this time (I hope). I posted on Friday that the engine was in, but running poorly. Since then I have spent most of my waking hours (besides the few spent celebrating Christmas =) ) trying to figure out what the heck was wrong with my engine. To summarize the problem, the engine was bogging badly at half to full throttle, and would barely get the bus up to speed on the freeway. I tried a variety of things. First, I tried rebuilding the right carb. No change. Then, I swapped the distributor out with a spare. Couldn't get it to run at all with the spare, I think the condenser had a short. I tried timing the engine anywhere from 15 degrees BTDC to 10 degrees ATDC. I tried adjusting the point gap from .010" to .030". None of this helped. I checked that there was adequate fuel pressure. To add insult to injury, I got a facefull of fuel when I pulled the line from the right carb and bumped the end of it on the throttle cable, causing the fuel to slingshot out of the line. The bus managed to have the last laugh in that concern, me having escaped earlier when installing the line from the tank to the fuel pump. Anyway there was plenty of fuel pressure. Finally yesterday around 3 I decided to pull the left carb and check it, even though it had been working perfectly on the other engine. I cleaned it out and swapped the 130/175 jets for 137.5/155. The latter set of jets were the spec for the 72 bus, and should make the mixture much richer. I put the carb back together, reinstalled it and fired it up. Now the bus wouldn't even idle. I was beside myself. I figured I must have messed up something reassembling the carb, so I angrily removed it and took it back to the workbench. I also took off the right carb, thinking I would change the jets in it also to match the left. Of course, I didn't have another set of 137.5/155 jets, so I cannabalized one of Schneiter's 72 carbs for them. I took the left carb apart again, and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I was really mad and frustrated at this point. Then, my luck changed. I don't know why. Maybe it was because it was Christmas, or because in my frustration, the thought of selling the bus for parts had crossed my mind. I took the carbs back out to the bus and installed them. While doing so, I noticed that the crosspipe between the manifolds had somehow come loose. That explained why it would barely run just before. Gaining hope, I assembled the linkage, fuel lines, and electrical wires. Fired it up, and it idled smoothly. Optimistic once again, I adjusted the idle and the three mixture set screws, and went for a spin. The bus surged forward eagerly in first, and responded without hesitation when I put my foot down in second and third. Problem solved! Still not a lot of power, but smooth, and no bucking, popping, or hesitation. I was jubilant. I drove home, where my luck continued to hold. I wanted to install the air cleaner assembly, but hadn't seen the left mounting bracket in months. I found it in less than 5 minutes in a box of parts against the garage wall. Why it had eluded me for so long before I don't know. I also found a little stash of jets, which included a 137.5 main and 155 air correction. Yes! Now I could reassemble Schneiter's carb without making another trip to the junkyard. I installed the air cleaner mounting bracket, air cleaner, and carb covers, cleaned up the garage a little, and went for another drive. The two liter engine is not really much of a change. I detect a little more low end torque. It will pull away from 30 mph cleanly in 4th gear. Top end power is not there, though. It's comparable to the 1800 that it replaced. In this respect, I'm disappointed. I attribute the lack of power to the extra-low compression ratio that resulted from the deeply dished pistons and .060" spacers under the cylinders. On the other hand, I cannot get this engine to ping, even running 87 octane unleaded regular, with timing at 15 degrees BTDC, under full throttle. For the first time, I'm not afraid to floor it going up hills. And, it runs extremely cool. I went for a 10 mile run down the freeway at 65-70 mph and the oil temp maxed out at 190. Around town, it is usually under 180. CHT varies from ~200 around town to a max observed of just over 300, lugging it up a hill. Oil pressure is great, with 70 psi cold, 40-50 on the freeway, and 20 at hot idle. I'm running 20-50 oil, but I think I'm going to put in 10-30 at the 300 mile oil change. The oil light also goes out a lot quicker at startup than the 1800 did. I don't know what to attribute that to, but it gives me a warm fuzzy. On the whole, I'm satisfied. I only wish the engine had more power. I'm thinking the carbs are probably not up to supplying the kind of air this engine needs at high RPM's. I'm also thinking I will remove the spacers under the cylinders one of these days, since I'm having zero problems with detonation. I'm definately going to drive it in some hot conditions before I do that, though. So, the saga is over. If I had it to do over again, I would have just left the 1800 alone, since there was nothing really wrong with it, and I didn't end up gaining much power, if any. True, I have a newer, quieter, possibly more reliable engine for the Inuvik trip, but I'm not sure it was worth the expense and the frustration. Pictures to appear on the web, one of these days. I'm way backlogged in the scanning dept.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego (Actually La Mesa) '72 VW Westfalia Camper (Da Project) California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================