Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Dec 1995 17:15:46 -0800
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      catalog you'll ALL love

After a tip from someone on the 'net, I ordered and just received a catalog that's definitely the most interesting I've seen in years. It's called Jade Mountain in Boulder, CO, and their phone numbers are:

800.442.1972 or 303.449.6601

A bit like a very distant cousin of a catalog many of you know I like called Real Goods, Jade Mt. features things having to do with alternative energy and power sources, and as such, is naturally of interest to people in VW campers. Their products seem to come from all over the world. Every few pages or so, there's some wonderful item which I fantasized should have been invented before, but was never prior to receiving this catalog ever able to locate for sale. Many of the things are quite innovative. If the product itself is not innovative, then chances the source it works off of is. A sampling of their more unusual stuff is:

instant, on-demand, tankless hot water heaters which work off of things other than the usual (things other than LP or elect.) all sorts of very unusual insulation and barriers and reflectors submersible wood-fired (water-cooled) fireboxes boat showers woodstove water heaters regular tanked water heaters which are fired by: wood, alcohol, diesel, cow chips, etc. point of use water heaters stovepipe catalytic combustors fans which draw practically zilch power spin dryers which remove up to 2/3 more water from clothes than your typical washing machine washers which run off of 117V, able to run on a small modified sine- wave inverter units which wash and dry in the same appliance pressurized hand-crank 2 minute clothes washers (non-electric) super insulated reefers and freezers, some even entirely solar powered! solar overs/cookers 12V vacs solar gate openers an iron which runs on Coleman fuel hand washing machines things to trap heat from the dryer things to make your own dc reefer from scratch long range telephones going up to 65 miles from service point incinerator toilets, plus composting, low flush, air flushers, etc. water storage tanks and cisterns, with devices to catch rain water, etc. unusual items for showers/grey water stuff unusual water purifyers and distillers photoelectric smoke detectors bar shampoo a DC soldering iron a cassette players which can be powered by hand cranking, if you're lacking batteries, or an AC power source lots of TVs/VCRs which are AC/DC, also amplifiers TONS of solar stuff, like panels, chargers, meters, batteries about a dozen types of solar lanterns solar lights solar car kits solar radios solar mosquito repellers the most unusual types of light bulbs I've ever seen (and I thought I'd seen everything peculiar in this department) every type of inverter you can imagine, ditto transformers, converters, adapters, etc. wind generators hydro electric stuff unusual generators and motors a salt-water generator, featuring power for 40-60 hours from 1 cup of table salt, weighs 4 lbs, and produces 400 mA at 10V, 850 mA at 8V, etc. a kerosens hot water heater whole village sized solar ovens and grinders. huge amounts of lite fixtures, limited only by your imagination system components galore ditto safety components things to regulate types of voltage I didn't even know existed solar well pumps, also pressure and surface pumps all sorts of things on alternative transportation shelters stuff on straw bale houses books, books, books biogas stuff

---

I originally requested this catalog from their e-mail address, which is:

jade-mtn@indra.com

It took MONTHS to receive, but was well worth the wait. Perhaps you'll have better luck by phoning them at the number I listed above, dunno. They also say they have a web site, which I've not yet checked out:

http://www.indra.com/jade-mtn/

/

-----

/martha