Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Dec 1995 13:16:56 -0600
From:         drphibes@siu.edu (Peter DePaoli)
Subject:      Re: Bus questions

At 09:37 PM 12/3/95 -0600, Crazed Idiot wrote: >Hey all, > I am looking to buy a bus. ----------------- Thats a good start. For looking tips I'd highly recomend St. Muir > T Also, how's the reliability > of the fuel injection systems on the '77-'79 buses? ----------------Most I've heard from, say no problem, even prefer it to carb(s) no fussing involved, but then there are the purists... I've heard > that the '75's were bad but I figure it got better as the years > went on. -------------Personnally, I don't think any Bus is BAD, rather a different challenge to tweak it into tip top shape I don't want one that's been converted because I've > had bad experiences with that. ----------------Probably a good idea, could be good, but could be inheriting someone elses mess and screw-turning idiosyncrisies (sp?) Since I've owned a VW before, I > know generally what to look for as far as problem areas go > (heater boxes, heater cables, rust, etc.) -----------------Again, that's good but are there any > areas more specific to buses that I should know about? ----------------on busses, look for frame rot, as my '71 Westy (Natasha) has just recently bitten the dust from cancer, but alas thanks to the captain of Indy, I'll have a running bus very soon!, Natasha will live in What we fondly now referr to as the Phoenix as it'll rise from the ashes to drive again. Will it need brakes soon, notice any misseing in the idle or running of the engine? that's a sign of poor valve adjusting procedures and perhaps a sticking valve. Get all over it and then get under neath it, pull a wheel or two off LOOK at it is it worth the money asked? really now meditate on it and/or if the seller doesn't let you do all this then I would'nt buy it. I hope > that someone on this list can give me good answers (and, knowing > VW fans, that shouldn't be a problem) so thanks in advance for > helping me out and I hope I'll be joining the ranks of the > bus-owning soon. > Sean --------------------Good-luck Sean, and hopefully soon, happy air-cooled motoring to you. > Peter DePaoli Carbondale,Il '69 Panel Camper '71 Westy Parts...Anyone?? '73 Super Beetle '82 Suzuki GS750 (wish it was a BMW) and a chevy for the wife to drive in the winter