Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Dec 1995 00:34:33 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      2.5 litre upgrade kit

>Derick, Isit possible that "Hub" refers to the crankshaft? I would think >that in increase of displacement by this amount would require additional >stroke. Otherwise, the case and heads would have to be machined to accept >larger cylinders. Probably not practical. > >Regarding seting up the Digifant, The Digifant will compensate. The >response may not be that great during warm-up, but once the system goes >closed loop, (O2 sensor kick in). Everything will be fine. I am very >interested in obtaining the parts for this Mod. I have no problem performing >the mechanics and I can find any machine work needed.

>Please keep me posted. I am available for any R+D help. >Dennis.

Not sure about the hug vs. crankshaft thing.. I got the BAS catalog in the mail from Brian (fast dude, huh?) today although it is in German, of course. A lot of Oettinger parts in there. I'll photocopy the waterboxer pages and send them to you in the mail. If there is a reason to, I'll then send you the whole catalog.

Catalog looks quite serious. Strictly the heavy duty engine stuff. Lots of cranks, cylendars, heads, stuff like that. They show the waterboxers running dual carbs but I gotta believe what you said about Digifant compensating. Oettinger stuck with Digifant on its 2.5 litre jobbies and we're only talking here about a 19% increase in displacement. How much difference can this make?

I also located a email responder where you send them stuff written in German and they shoot it back to you in English. Free! The web site seems to be

http://www.globalink.com

Anybody want to shoot them instructions for using a unisyn for syncronizing dual carbs and then have them translate it back into English? It would be amusing to see the result. I wonder if they can actually translate "crankshaft" and "CV Joints".

Anyway, Brian has written in with the important post that if we had trouble with shipping that he could help us get these BAS parts across the ocean.

Brian also had a couple of observations that were interesting, and I'll invite any comment. I think this area is closer to your (Dennis' & other list motor experts) expertise than mine so perhaps someone other than me should respond.

Derek,

I was just wondering, Mahle 98mm (or just any reasonable size) pistons are not that hard to find are they? The cylinders of a WasserBoxer can't be that difficult to manufacture IMHO, i've never seen one up close, but i guess you could use a piece of molybdenum seamless tubing, cut it to lenght in a very precise manner, hone the inside to absolute roundness and maybe turn some steps or grooves on the case and/or head ends if necessary... Dono 'bout the water "shrouding"... You would need to determine suitable material specs and maybe dive into metal-heat-expansion theories...

Just a thought,

Brian.

Another thought, the crankshaft of a T1 engine could be used in a WB, only the #1 mainbearing and oilseal would need some attention. WB crank in a T1 case is possible, so why not the other way around, using for instance a Scat 82mm. The only real disadvantage is the method of securing the flywheel to the crank (glandnut instead of five bolts) and making sure the tranny's primary shaft is fully seated in the pilotbearing, you would have a wider choice of options. You can use T1 parts throughout, cranks, cams, distributor & drive, flywheel, lifters if the case is bushed, (recommended by BAS for HiPerf use anyway, they even use 'em in their T-IVs) etc. etc.

Brian.

____________________________________ Derek Drew New York, NY drew@interport.net (preferred) DerekDrew@aol.com (if interport is down) '90 Syncro Westfalia (seen at http://www.teleport.com/~des/vw/drew/index.html)