Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Dec 95 13:05:01 MST
From:         aburczyk@dres.dnd.ca
Subject:      Re: Why do we all love our "bricks" so much?

I have to agree with you. I have a '73 with a 1700 cc type IV engine. Almost all of the problems that I've had with the vehicle have to do with the engine. Parts are hard and dear to come by, expertise from VW sucks big time, and the design of the engine is horibly labout intensive to work on. On the plus side I've found the van itself to be remarkable well suited to a family of 5 and hard to break. My rule of thumb is that '70 vans cost about twice to fix compared to that of 60's vans, Vanagons cost about twice as much as '70s vans (or 4 times what a 60s van would cost). I'd love to re-engine my '73 with a modern power plant, unfortunately I don't know how to handle the radiator location problem. I really don't want to get into things that really screw up the exterior of the van. Up to now I've gotten around the engine availablity problems by getting parts vans and spare engines and components but I se the day when the lack of something minor and unavailable will ground me.

In this vein I've obtained an 82 originally diesel powered vanagon that was converted badly to gas. Unfortunaly the cost of fixing it up (non-engine components) is prohibitive since the PO abused it severely and I don't have a parts vehicle for it (I'm looking).

I'd rather convert the '73 to a good water cooled engine. I dream of being able to pipe heat around to where it is needed instead of using a gas heater. I've also never understood that VW mags that brag about getting 150 HP out of a bug engine with the unsaid implication that they only last for a few hundred miles or until the race is over. A vanilla V8 will pull 200 HP stock and run forever and the chevy 2.8 L V6 has a great reputation and parts are easy to come by. You probably would never have to rebuild one of these since you could simply mine wrecked vehicles for decent engines.

If anyone has a lead on a cooling system conversion for a 70s bus please let me know.

Andy