Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 28 Dec 1995 15:01:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      RE: Engine conversions (was: Why do we all love our "bricks" so much?)

On Dec. 28, 1995, Cetin wrote:

>Happy to hear your V6anagon is doing so well (I've been following your >posts). One point of curiosity : Although I do not know the Chevy V6, >most V6 engines have their optimum spot at around 2500 rpm, since that >is where they generate enough power to let their cargo cruise at >around 70 mph. If your V6anagon has standard VW transmission, then >you'd be running it at around 4,000 rpm at 70 mph. > >Any opinions on the long term effects?

Yup-- 4000 at 70 is exactly what I saw a few days ago when driving the creature from San Diego to San Jose and back. Seems high to me-- I have a hunch that my (cheap JCWhitney) tach may be reading a little high. But still, the engine is turning faster than Mr. Chevrolet intended.

Results seem to be:

1.) Engine is noisier than it would be if it were turning maybe 2700 like my old Cressida. But it's still quieter than my '71, which has to roar just to GET to 70 mph. Not having that big squirrel-cage cooling fan (the noisiest type) aimed at the back of your head, as pre-72 VWs do, helps a lot.

2.) Gas mileage is poorer-- 17 mpg on the freeway, at speeds around 65-70.

3.) Engine probably won't last as long.

4.) When you step on the gas, it boogies. :^)

The car feels like a five-speed with correct ratios, but where I never shift into fifth gear. Too bad.

I understand some diesel Vanagons came with 5-speed transmissions. But it turns out that the 5th gear in these, is only marginally higher than 4th gear in a 4-speed (0.82 vs. 0.85). And, I believe, the ring and pinion are the same.

I'd love to find out if the ring and pinion of a (diesel) 5-speed, can be changed to a taller ratio. If my present 4-speed had a 5th gear on top of the present four ratios, it would be a wonderful cruising car. As it is, it's a "good" cruising car, and a real zippy traffic car. When was the last time you heard that said about a Type 2?

>This may actually be to the advantage of he Chevy engine, since 4,000 >rpm is well within its limits, and increased rpm for the same amount >of horsepower (assuming the vehicle needs the same amount of HP at >70mph regardless of engine rpm, which should be mostly true), it would >mean increased oil pressure and decreased combustion pressure.

Sounds like a good theory. We'll see how it turns out in practice.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon '71 VW Transporter