Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 4 Dec 1995 17:19:48 -0500 (EST)
From:         William Alan Killian <killian@qnet.com>
Subject:      Re: sport racks on Westys

On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Marcus Doherr wrote:

> I am using four Yakima 'wide body brackets' (adapters) screwed on(in)to the > corners of the pop top (and supported by larger metal 'counter'plates from > the inside) to put on the regular high Yakima raingutter rack system. Have > carried up to four single / two double sea kayaks on it w/o any problems, > exept for the inconvenience of loading and unloading <grin>. However, I > always use additional straps to hold down the poptop, and bow- and > sternlines to keep poptop, racks, and gear on the van! You have to remove > the kayaks to pop up the top, but can leave the racks on!

Not for the most timid of Westy owners but way back in '73 or '74 my father simply drilled four holes in the fiber glass westy roof of the '72 (back when the luggage rack was in the back). These were space such that eye bolts installed could snuggly cradle a canoe on top of the van. Ropes across between the eye (or bungees eventually) and nylon ropes tied the ends down to other eye bolts installed in the bumpers. When we later needed to carry two canoes he put two boards such that they were bolted to the upper eye bolts, in turn eye bolts in the boards and the same ropes down to the bumpers could hold a pair of canoes to the boards. It worked great. Never had a leak so I guess he must have used some grommet or something to keep the eye bolts from leaking and tearing up the fiberglass. It might have been ugly but it worked.

If anyone sees a butterscotch '72 Westy in SW Virginia with eye bolts in the roof and a bumoer hitch attached to a beat up bumper in the rear (them were nasty rocks in Quebec) that used to be ours. I sure miss that one...

bill and diane killian zen and the art of ferrets