Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Dec 1995 21:57:32 -0600 (CST)
From:         Bob Hufford <bhufford@mail.orion.org>
Subject:      Pick One, Dammit

I took a quick look at a '69 Double-Cab Pickup today. Been sitting (outside) since 1984, originally from Florida, now sitting way out in the Ozarks wilderness. Body not too bad ... some new metal at the bottom of the gates and in the rockers (not a professional job), nose on drivers side corner was in about an inch before being pulled back out. Good (complete) interior, nice headliner, floors solid. Motor "ran good when I parked it" (turns over). The owner made it sound *much* nicer over the phone (he still sees it as it might have been 11 years ago) and was saying things like "I saw one in California for $2500"... (*I* would pay $1500 to $2000, even tho' the ones in HVWs classifieds were $8900 and $14,500 [restored]). Problem is ... I'm getting ready to start restoring my '60 Double-Door Panel (which *is* my birth year) and a Panel is fairly cheap to restore (well, compared to a Deluxe Sunroof or Rusty's Westy)... But the Panel won't haul my family of 5 unless I put a seat in the back (and I don't want to do that). I also have a line on a '60 Double-Door Kombi (seats for the kids and windows to see what I'm about to hit as I change lanes) that has an asking price of $1400. All these VWs are in similar unrestored (or old-restored) condition and each has the uniqueness that I like and tho' I could *probably* buy all of them, that is as far as the funds would go and I'd have three projects instead of one good Bus (sound familiar?)...

What are your opinions as far as practicality vs. restorablity. Which one should I choose?

Bob Hufford \\ // "...in the GROOVE" \\ \\// // The Good/The Bad/The Ugly General Registry Of Ozarks' \\ \/ // '60 Double-Door Panel Volkswagen Enthusiasts \\ //\\ // '81 Vanagon (Sunroof) bhufford@mail.orion.org \\/ \\/ '61,'63,'67,'72 Bus Bones