Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Dec 1995 12:13:38 -0300
From:         johnny89 <johnny89@io.com>
Subject:      Carb Rebuild (Timing adjustment update) Suggestions needed...

PREFACE:

Hey all,

I'd like to thank everyone who has been helping me with my timing problems... The other day I realized that I was timing the engine off the wrong spark plug! When I timed it to the #1 everything was ok. (I timed it 7.5 ATDC for a 009 at idle)

Of course, I took apart the carb and put new gaskets in...Bob suggested using a spare tire for air and I didn't even think of that!(I have an airbrush and I did think of compressed air cans)

At any rate, I found out a few interesting things about my carb (34pict3)

1. Someone opened a hole in the top(back side) of the fuel bowl so that it would clear the bolt that holds the generator to the fan housing. I had to shove the fan housing back to get the carb out--I couldn't figure out why it was stuck!

2. The receptacle for the auto choke is not perfectly round. It took me a time to get the auto choke coil back into the housing. At this point I don't think the auto-choke is working properly, and will test it today...

3. The jet connections that would normally go to the altitude adjuster have been clamped off.

QUESTIONS:

1. The points are ok, the timing is ok, the valves are ok (or so I think)...the carb is rebuilt...idle set to 800+/-50rpm... why am I getting a "flat spot" during acceleration? Is this becuase of my air/fuel mixture?

2. Do I need to reconnect the altitude adjuster?

3. If I get a new carb, do I have to worry about the screw in the fan housing? Why would someone cut the old one?

4. Should the bus vibrate a little while it is warming up? Or is the engine running too rough?

REGARDING THE FAST IDLE CAM:

I don't think my auto choke is working properly...I have to manually give it gas to warm her up...I also think the choke valve is sticking or not working properly...any suggestions on this situation would be appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! SEE YA IN '96!

Regards,

J89

/ ! ) <+) (") (.> ---Hey! Support your local scene! WEBscene, that is! /( )\/( )\/( )\ VOLKSADDICT, webscene for aircooled enthusiasts | | | | | | http://www.io.com/~johnny89/Volksaddict ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ The Guy Who Does This: johnny89@io.com