Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 04 Dec 1995 18:45:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      V6anagon Trip: Day 1 (continued) /L

Bob Hufford and I went directly from the Springfield airport to the PO's house. It was dark, and we nearly missed it. Got out, met the PO finally after months of phone conversations, and we turned our attention to the van (can I call it a bus? Or is that for splitties and bays only?).

It looks pretty decent, far better than "good condition" (sorry, Bob Hoover). Very straight, virtually no rust except for a few minor dots here and there. Interior looks complete, once we get the middle seat out of his garage. Rear tires nearly new, fronts pretty worn, as the PO had told me weeks earlier.

Tie rod boots are split open, duct-taped, and split again. A yank on the left tie rod makes the rack itself (the long part inside the rack&pinion housing) move slightly fore and aft, in addition to the end-to-end movement it's supposed to have. I guess this means the rack is indeed shot, as the PO has told me from the beginning.

The engine compartment is novel-looking, as one might expect. The teensy 2800 V6 looks positively cute, albeit with some crude-looking wiring and throttle return spring. A few oil stains-- obviously some leaks (as the PO had said), but we VW'ers are used to that. PO said it leaks maybe a quart every 1,000 miles, and I told him that that doesn't even qualify as a leak in my book.

Edelbrock foam-type air cleaner on top of the Holley 2-barrel carb. It sticks up about six inches above the rear deck, and the PO has done a commendable job of cutting a hole in the hatch and building a wooden box on top of it to cover the new engine. Both the VW and the Chevy started life with fuel-injection systems-- the CA smog people are gonna love this.

On the ground near the barn, are some extra goodies-- the exhaust and catalytic converter from the Citation that donated the engine, two spare tires plus another wheel, some misc. ducting, and a tow hitch assembly, custom-made to fit this car's custom-made engine mount brace and frame.

Finally time for the good part-- starting it. Has to be jumped, but then fires right off and settles down into a smooth idle. The ignition switch is hosed, but the PO made a neat installation of an amber toggle switch right next to the gas-heater knob (gas heater is long gone, tho). This is now the ignition switch, and lights up when you flip it on.

With the engine running, we bend over with a trouble light for our first look-see-- and carefully back away. The fuel pump isn't just dripping, as the PO had said-- it is *spouting* raw gasoline all over the engine block, from a hole in the bottom of the muffin that's supposed to be an air vent. We shut it down and do some head-scratching. PO says he drove it for about three weeks like that-- no fireball yet, obviously. Hmmmm. Glad I brought that spare (new) fuel pump.

Sometimes the engine doesn't want to run. The PO says that it has been that way recently, and is evidently because of a year's worth of dirt etc. making poor contacts in the fuse box. We roll several of the fuses in their holders, and the problem goes away. The engine seems to run quite well, with a throaty, raspy sound reminiscent of the Hemi owned by your local High School BMOC once upon a time.

We step inside, do the paperwork, and the V6anagon is mine. Load her up (getting nippy, Hufford is shivering a little, but as encouraging and supporting as ever). It's nearly midnight by now. Another jump start, I settle into the driver's seat (is this the only Vanagon in captivity with a complete set of corduroy upholstery?), and find that I have to use both feet on the accelerator pedal to get the engine to speed up.

The PO reiterates that he believes we're only getting maybe half the travel from the Holley's throttle arm. I guess privately that that's all we need-- the engine is way overcarbureted. The throttle cable and guide tube is extremely crude, and probably a major contributor to the stiffness of the throttle. That plus the two (count them, two) return springs, needed to counteract all that built-in friction and close the throttle, add up to a LOT of force needed to make it go zoom. Maybe 30 pounds on the accelerator pedal, continuously for three days. We agree to head for a gas station, fist thing.

Hufford jumps in his Vanagon, I back out, trying not to think about that fuel pump imitating a lawn sprinkler back there, and we pull onto the roadway and start off. Bob is patient as I cajole and nudge and curse and finally STOMP on the gas pedal, and the V6anagon blasts off like a rocket. Shift to second, and try to find a happy medium-- there isn't one-- as Bob leads me down the road. The shifter is very stiff-- probably from sitting so long, the grease must look like Silly Putty by now. Half a mile later, we come to a stop sign. Bob proceeds, I pull up, and the engine conks out.

Hit the key, and the engine won't crank, not even a little. That old battery must REALLY be dead. I get out, letting the van roll backward down the hill, put in reverse, and pop the clutch. Engine turns over, but no joy. Second attempt, nada. Bob comes back, and we talk it over. That amber switch on the dash is still lit up, meaning (I think) good juice to the coil (just not enough for the starter too).

We decide it's out of gas. It was way low when we first got there, and the fuel pump is spraying far more than it's feeding to the carb. Bob's encouragement never misses a beat, and he suggests we head for the local all-night truck stop about 4 miles away. We roll the van backward into the lot of a (closed) gas station, and take off. Anyone who finds that van right then, gets a prize-- overall good condition, no license plate, and a signed-off title in the glove compartment.

Get to the truck stop, borrow a five-gallon clear plastic milk jug (I think), fill it, and head back. First attempt at filling the van results in a puddle even bigger than the one previously made by the fuel pump. Thank you, EPA unleaded restrictor (along with a good dose of Maher clumsiness). Finally make a paper funnel and get most of the gas in the tank. Get my jumper cables out of the suitcase, hook up to Bob's battery, hit the key, and the engine turns vvveeerrrrryyyy slowly. Back off,let it sit for a while to charge, but same result. It's now about 1 AM, and Bob is undoubtedly wondering what kind of crackpot he's fallen into the company of, but his helpful demeanor never flags.

We back off a little to regroup, and head for Bob's house to exchange his Vanagon for another car less in need of a tune-up. It's a 10-20 mile drive each way, but Bob acts like this stuff is his favorite activity in life, and we roll happily along. Try to jump the van from his new car, same result. We pow-wow again, and finally we're off the the all-night Wal-mart Supercenter, for a new battery and miscellaneous stuff.

We get back, and the battery is too tall. Ordinarily no big deal-- I always put oversized batteries in old cars-- but this van has the world's shortest ground strap. Only by leaning the battery forward about 45 degrees, can we get the strap onto the terminal. Flip on the amber ignition switch, hit the key, and it fires on the first crank and settles down to that sweet, smooth idle it had before. It's now about 2:30 AM.

Off we go, Bob leading. About two miles down the road, the van quits cold again. I flash the headlights at Bob, who stops immediately as I coast up to him. The amber switch is no longer lit up, I notice, although still in the ON position. Bob suggests more bad contacts in the fuse box. We roll the fuses, and the amber switch comes back on. I hit the key, and the switch goes out. Roll them again, it comes on, I hit the key, and it starts instantly.

At this point, Bob suggests I abandon my plan of going to a motel for the night, and sack out on his couch. I know this can cause family strife, after he has already been bending over backward and giving incredible amounts of help to an ill-prepared stranger. But I give in with little argument. He has to be at work early the next day (well, that same day by now). But he is nothing but completely accommodating.

I follow him home, leaving a trail of gasoline, oil, and dry leaves on the road behind me, and notice a pronounced wheel shimmy around 62 mph. The gearshift handle also has a strange, harsh vibration around 25 mph in third, but in no other gears. The good news: once I put my foot sufficiently into the accelerator, this sucker BOOKS. A firm, solid push in the seat of the pants, accelerating up past the shift points on the speedo, even in third and fourth gears. Quite a novel feeling in a VW van, far more pronounced than any I have ever driven, including my old '69 with the Weber.

Everyone is finally sacked out by about 3:30 AM--- the end of Day 1 of the V6anagon trip.

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com