Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 1995 10:30:14 -0600
From:         daukes@mmts.eds.com (dean c aukes)
Subject:      Re: '79 f.i./carb conversion (finally)

>$289.00. This is a single carb set-up, and I wonder about provisions on >this carb for intake air pre-heating--carburator icing can be, ah, >inconvenient. > I've had 3 setups on the '73 Campmobile - stock (dual solex 1bbl), weber progressive, and dual del ortos (basically 4 single barrel carbs with shared bowls).

There was a definite increase in power when I converted to the weber. There was, however also a definite loss of cold weather driveability - carb icing, and no preheat air really messed things up.

I have very good cold weather driveability (it's all relative - keep in mind I live near Dallas, Texas) with the Dels. They have no choke. To start up, the instructions just recommend a blip with the throttle to keep it running (accelerator pump). This is for 60 seconds or less. Carb icing is not a problem either - there is no preheat, but with one barrel per cylinder, the air is moving through the venturi much slower, expanding and cooling less. I suppose the flip side to this is that the slower air speed might not allow full atomization of the fuel, with a corresponding loss of efficiency. My mpg is the worst with this setup, but I've accepted that penalty for the excellent power. Not sure I'd do it again. I'd re-evaluate the mileage and additional hardware cost vs the power increase - I mean, I'm not building a hot rod here.

Dean