Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 1995 11:43:02 -0500
From:         drew@interport.net (Derek Drew)
Subject:      Labrador

>I didn't take the time to read the Quebec map but I'm not quite sure that >the Quebec road goes to Inuvik, maybe you have to go to Newfoundland, take >the Belle-Isle strait ferry to labrador and go north on gravel road (someone >of my family had taken these road). There is no north road in Quebec, it is >the railroad that goes from Sept-Iles to the north, the other road are justs >parts (for example from Fermont (Qc) to Labrador). There is just some small >non connecting roads between Mingan (past Sept-Iles) to Lourdes de Blanc >Sablon (near Labrador).

This is wrong. There is a brand-new, absolutely-surreal, very-long, tedious "road" that goes along rail road tracks, across abandoned towns, marshes, swamps, abandoned superhighways, mining pits, etc. that links you all the way from Baie-Comeau to Labrador City. It is on a few maps now although most don't show it. A giant town is listed on the maps called Gagnon but when we got there (hoping to buy gas) we discovered that the city had been removed down to the last stick although they still had a lot of fancy paved blacktop and first rate sewer and gutters--but no buildings left. We were the fourth vehicle to ever make it up this road, and when we got to labrador city we were mobbed by the police and eveybody asking what it was like to drive in from "outside."

Honeymoon in our 72 in about 1987 or so. Railroad tracks vibrated the van so much the bolts in the accelerator bar unscrewed themselves and the van went half the way at full throttle--speed control by braking and turning the key off only. 80F degrees when we left Quebec city at 7:30 AM; snowing when we arrived in Labrador City at 1:30pm. (That's a good time estimate for you Tom; 18 hours between the two points.) ___________________________________ Derek Drew drew@interport.net (main address for e-mail) derekdrew@aol.com (alternate/backup address, checked infrequently)