Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Dec 1995 09:09:30 -0400
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Cost of Operating Vanagon

>the cost/month seems a bit high to me, if that includes ONLY maintenance >items. but a few high-ticket items (like several sets of tires, shocks,

Hmmm, high to me, let's see what the used van market is like.

'85 bus, bought '86.5 $11,000Cdn 161,000km - 57,000km 104,000 Km (65,000mi) 4 summer tires $ 300 4 winters (used) $ 200 Westy guts + insul $ 400 water pump $ 130 muffler $ 120 plumbing/J-tubes $ 150 head gasket 1 $ 160 windshield $ 350 battery 2 $ 180 belts/fluids est. $ 200 gasoline est 22mpg/$2 $ 6000 VW warranty (new FI) $ 2600 -------- total costs $21,890 resale cost $(4,500) -------- final total $17,490 or.... $0.37/mile GAK!

This is Cdn $$, x0.72 = $0.28/mi. gak!

I thought this was the peoples car, for Swiss bankers maybe. I tend to view the cost of gas as a necessary evil, common to all cars. Factor that I can't account for is how much money saved in moving expenses and motelling costs. Note that there is zero non-warranty VW labour in the above, since I DIY. Add the infinite number of labour hours in there........ Time to see if I can fit a Westy setup into a Honda Civic :0. Tim Smith