Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         05 Dec 1995 09:46:09 EST
From:         "Tom Forhan" <TFORHAN@hr.house.gov>
Subject:      Personal, private thoughts.

I've been discussing this with a couple of listmembers, and thought I might as well let the whole (Vanagon) world know what I was thinking.

The 87 Syncro arrives (DOA) tomorrow night or Thursday morning. Once I've got it, what am I gonna do? It seems there are three possibilities.

First plan: complete disassembly, a million baggies and a spreadsheet for inventory: 20 year parts supply, or rotating inventory for rebuilds. The 87 has diff lock, I was thinking of installing it on the front diff of the Westie early on, so I would have front and rear diff locks, way cool. The engine, with a bit of welding on the case, might serve as the basis for building an Ottinger 2.5, or something similar.

Second plan. Keep it intact and use it for a transplant test bed. No need to do this unless the swap is something that hasn't been worked out yet, i.e. an Audi. That project is looking pretty complex, though, and the price of the multistage oil pump for the Audi dry sump is around two grand, the whole project would easily consume much more. Still cheaper than a 911, but if you put that kinda money in a wasserboxer, you might get the power and none of the conversion headaches. I realize some with more experience than I have with the wasserboxer will do anything to get rid of that engine. Anyway, upon completion of second plan, implement the first.

Third plan. From descriptions over the phone, maybe this bus is too pretty to part. The mechanic SAYS it has a good body and interior, new clutch that he put in not long ago, new tires, and that it drove fine. This plan would have me just get it back on the road, maybe rebuilding the engine in larger displacement format, then putting it in the Westie. Then put the Westie engine in the 87, and sell it. Put extra cash in the bank to buy syncro parts in the future. This is the least likely, I suppose, because a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. I know I will have second thoughts about dismantling a rare vehicle, no matter what I paid for it.

Of course, once I've actually seen it, the course of action may be more obvious. Your two cents welcomed.

Tom F. 90 Syncro Westie 87 Syncro GL (already loaded on the trailer) 90 Audi 200 TQW IA Stage I