Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Dec 1995 08:56:44 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      wasserboxer tune-up report, part 1

Stage 1 is done. results of Stage 1 tune-up necessitates a Stage 2.

Prior to this most recent tune-up i had 2 complaints (well, on the van i mean): an erratic idle, especially when cold and a very pronounced cold start miss accompanied by puffs of black smoke.

the tune-up included: switch from NGK to Bosch 3-prong W7DTC remove and clean throttle body of carbon scrub up throttle switches of grime reset basic throttle plate setting and throttle switch air filter oil change fiddle with CO adjustment clean idle stabilizer with carb cleaner replace ECU water temp sensor

the Results: the warm and cold idle is rock steady now. the cold idle miss still partially remains but is subjectively cut in half. drivability is excellent but really was good prior to work.

Observations: taking voltage reading off the O2 sensor, i see my open loop (sensor disconnected, crankcase breather blocked) voltage is high, about 0.9v equating with a rich mixture. i could not get this lower by turning the CO screw, well appreciable lower anyway. with the sensor connected, the readings alternated on both sides of 0.5v so the mixture regulation is functioning in closed loop. one important point on the open loop readings... i forgot to pinch off the carbon canister hose to the air box. *maybe* that continually spiked my open loop reading high but i have my doubts because they remained high at all RPMs.

Conclusions: i think my next step to lower the open loop sensor voltage will be to increase air flow meter spring tension a notch. i am currently "Techron-ing" the van in case an injector is bleeding fuel but again i don't expect it to be this. i'm wondering if the flapper spring on the air flow meters slowly looses some of its tension over time and needs to be brought back in line.

i also have some false air leaks at the rubber+fabric manifold connectors to the intake runners. more than likely we all do. on my '85 i replaced all the crimp on clamps with #24 hose clamps and that solved that problem. i have the 8 #24s but havent put them on. however, false air leaks would lower the O2 sensor voltage in open loop mode so this is an unrelated problem.

if anyone has ideas on why my open loop mixture is so rich, please speculate away.

-dan