Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 05 Dec 1995 10:36:36 -0500
From:         Matt Goike <goikem@state.mi.us>
Subject:      84 cooling ?

hello.

took my friend's 84 westy from michigan to the kentucky/tenessee border this weekend, and experienced some wierd stuff. wondering what the heck is going on, neither of us have any knowledge of waterboxers' cooling systems, and we left my bentley at home. the water pump had been replaced by (we thought) a competent mechanic on thursday. we left saturday. after 3 hrs on the road@70mph, we pulled over to find the fill bottle well over the full level, and coolant dripping out. we thought the guy overfilled it and let off the excess. next stop we discovered it was underfilled, and brought it back up to the full level. after about 2 more hrs, the temp warning light comes on and the needle goes all the way up. we pull over, let it cool, and continue, trying to get to a garage. the light goes off! and on, and off, and so on, seemingly randomly and intermittently (although always when we stop for gas), for the remainder of the trip (no vw mechanics found open). the engine does not feel (to the touch) like it is overheating. sometimes coolant drips out at the fill reservoir, sometimes we need to add water. any experience with this sort of thing? air in the system? thermostat? thanks.

matthew (81 adventurewagen)

p.s. - went to the big south fork national recreation area - no people, cool limestone caves/cliffs/arches, and terrain. woke up yesterday in a cave, and took a shower in a 50 ft. waterfall - brr.