Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Dec 1995 11:09:20 -0500
From:         "Robert Tommaselli" <Robert.Tommaselli@ska.com>
Subject:      Eurovan banter...was Re: Update the database

On Dec 4, 7:07pm, Rick Gordon wrote: > Subject: Re: Update the database > > > >Donno mfg date. I just plug it in over night like you. I have had the fridge > >short out and drain the cabin battery dead twice. It's bounced back both times. > > > I tested it tonight - 1 cell dead, 2 marginal. They're going to replace it > on Friday.

That's a good point. I should test them my self. We all know that old saying " if you want it done right....."

> >left little puddles wherever the cotton ties were touching the inside of the > >camper. I have resolved to either plasticoat those cloth ties or replace > >them with a non wicking fabric (nilon?). > > > > Good point. I noticed those ties hanging out. But if you coat the ties > won't the water just run along the edges? I'll look at seam sealants once > the weather warms up a bit. > I was hoping to get a good seal all the way up to the canvas and possibly on the outside as well. I plan to try just one side and see if I can find a good rain storm to test it in again. I have even thought about just using a waxed cloth of some type. I'll let you know if I am sucessful.

> > I'll check it out and let you know if I find anything.

I'm very interested in feed back on this settling joint.

It was!!!!!! I got over it as soon as I saw the awning in it's full regalia.

> > >I also went camping in Indiana this past summer. I purchased the full screen > >set. On a hot day in the woods full of bugs I would have given twice their > >weight in gold to have the full screen set, which I did and hence saved much > >money. The key to keeping cool in the van is to park the tail end of the van > >into the wind. I plan to hook up a good size fan this summer that will be > >solar/battery powered to keep good air flow on hot days w/o wind. > > > > I suppose those small muffin fans out of a pc case would be useful, but you > might need a couple. Let me know what you figure out. >

I already have several 12V fans I had planned to put up in the ceiling vent. When it's hot you don't want to rely on 1.5" fans to cool the EV. I'm talking a 12" blade on the fan, artifical wind if you will. I wonder how long the cabin battery would last then?

> >The rear tent has proven the least useful sofar. First, it's all vertical > >space. The tent is by no means a water tight tent like the pop top. In the same > >rain storm mentioned above I had the rear tent out, big mistake. It leaked > >water into the rear of the EV on both corners. It is however a nice storage > >compartment(in good weather) when you want to stow equipment that would > >otherwise take up valuable indoors realestate. > > > > Well, we'll see how much it is. That is the piece that looked least useful > to me because I usually have the bikes strapped to the back. > > > > >Keep in touch. Us EVers gotta stick together. > > I'll say. There sure aren't many of them in Joel's database!

True,t here aren't too many of us now but were growing. From the sales poeple I have talked to, elderly folks seem to be a prime buyers of EVs. In fact I've caught several older folks checking out the camper. Somehow they're always shocked to see a long hair with a tie die getting into the EV. Some won't even talk to me, and as you can see I love to talk about my VW. Ofcourse I'm not saying that EV owners are old folks, what I am trying to say is that its one comfortable ride no matter whos driving it.

speaking of after market items. I have found zero afermarket accessories for the Eurovan at the shops listed on the net. If you hear of any let tme know.

-- ***************************************************************** * A little KINDness is ,=,==========. * * is all you need, /_| |___| U * * Robert Tommaselli / o U * * U-()-------()--'95 EV-Camper * **** The bus came by, I got on, that's when it all began ********