Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 1995 12:24:37 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Transplants - MSDS

PowerVan Wanabes,

There has been some concern expressed over the use of a more powerful engine in a Vanagon Syncro. I've read somewhere on the list that Martin Schnieder has to fix or replace his transmission every 18 months. I went direct to the source.

I just got off the phone with Martin Schnieder of MSDS (he's the MS). Here's what he told me about his experence with Syncro transmissions and additional engine power:

At 80,000 miles his original Syncro transmission failed while the original engine was in place. He repaired the transmission and installed the 240HP Porsche engine. Since then he has added 104,000 miles over the last 2.5 years for a total of 190,000 miles on the van. During this time he has experienced NO transmission failures.

I asked him about the ability of the Syncro transmission to hold up to the additional power of the new engine and he commented that transmission couldn't hold up under the power of the original engine.

It seems to me that if the trans went 80k with the wasserboxer and has now gone 104k with the Porsche engine, it's doing an O.K. job of holding up. In fact it could be agrued that 104k being greater than 80k, that it's holding up better. I think most of us interested in transplants would be satisfied with around 150 HP and that the Syncro trans would hold up just fine with that much power.

Now, to find an engine that fits!

Jim Davis 87 Syncro 88 Wolfsburg