Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Dec 1995 16:42:23 -0800
From:         "Matt Sanner" <msanner@hooked.net>
Subject:      I've had it

Oh Well maybe not yet:

My engine is dead (as far as I'm concerned). New heads,water,oil pump ,etc are needed. I know that these could be fixed, but I just want an engine that will be trouble free for at least the next two years. For an hour today, I actually decided to sell my Vanagon and buy a car. But cooler heads prevailed.

My question is: is it worthwhile to drop a new engine into this puppy. I just had one cv joint replaced and the rest repacked plus a new pilot bearing installed and the transmission checked (Clutch at 70% of new). There is only minor surface rust on the body (not in the wheel wells or the undercarrige) and I just bought two new light truck snow tires two months ago. The pipes from the radiator show rust back toward the engine.

I figure the cost would be around $2,500 for the engine/installation. Is this a reasonable figure? Is it best to buy from VW with the 10/100,000 protection or go with a rebuilt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.