Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         06 Dec 95 08:32:50 EST
From:         "James E. Piper" <JPIPER%UMDACC.bitnet@vm1.spcs.umn.edu>
Subject:      High Idle Speed Problem

>From: Jim Piper

Hi. I have an 86 Vanagon with roughly 74,000 miles on it. Over the weekend, it developed a new problem that I am having problems tracking down. While warming up the car on morning, the engine reved from its usual 1,000 rpm to aproximately 4,500 rpm and stayed there until I shut it down. Since then, it has happened numerous times, including while driving. It does not seem to be pulling full power when it does (it will only pull the car at 50 mpr or so) and I can go faster by pressing on the gas pedal. Engine temperature seems to have nothing to do with it.Oh, it is the manual transmission.

Looking through the Bently manual, it seemed to suggest that the idel stabilizer could be allowing air to bypass the throttle valve, so I tested it. At times when the engine was running properly, the idle bypass valve was humming and vibrating as the manual said it should. When the engine went to high rpm, I shut it off and turned the key back on and the valve was not vibrating. There was 12 v at the valve connections. Turning the engine back on right away again produced the high rpm. After several minutes with the engine off, I checked it again and the bypass alve would vibrate. Starting the engine at this point produced a normal 1,000 rpm.

A member of this newsgroup had the good suggestion to try tapping the valve body with a hammer while it was misbehaving (wish I could do that to some of the people I work with), so I will try that tonight.

My questions are first, has anyone experienced something similar, and if so did replacing the idle stabilizer valve fix the problem? Second, does it sound like the idle stebelizer valve could produce this problem? Bently is not too much help (at least in this case) as it doesn't get down to basics and tell you how the system works or how to trace down problems.

I would greatly appreciate any help/suggestions that could be offered.