Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         1 Dec 1995 11:13:10 U
From:         "Kirk van Druten" <kirk@lansharks.batnet.com>
Subject:      Re: Re-New 'Brain'-88 Westy

Reply to:RE>Re:New 'Brain'-88 Westy (long) Steve Hoge Wrote: >This suggests that there are at least 2 independent problems with a >common symptom, which is that the ECU basically throws up its hands and >refuses to deliver fuel to the engine... (cut) ...Popping the harness adaptor on your airflow >meter would have been a cheap first try (presumably you didn't know about that fix). It >would be nice if there was a way to distinguish these various problems by the symptoms, >but the symptoms seem to be identical.

The symptoms I saw were very different. I had already experienced and the 'harness adaptor' thing before I had the ECU problem. The symptom I saw before installing the capacitor harness on the air flow meter was not the same symptom as a bad (or slowly dying) ECU at all. I was driving on I-5 and it was hot outside (100+degrees). My van burped mabye twice and then slowy lost power altogether. When I put the clutch in to downshift and pull over, the engine stalled and the dashboard lights came on. Coasted to the side and pulled the engine lid. No loose connetions, I had gas and the gauge worked, coulda been fuel pump but in about 5 mintues the van fired up and ran great for another 200+ miles. Go figure. I was talking to a VW service guy in San Diego and just happened to mention the symptom. He pulls out the tech bulitin you mentioned which seemed to match the symptoms I had experienced exactly. While I thought it sucked that VW had the balls to charge $100 for a capacitor harness (and would have been happy to charge me LABOR to install it!), I was heading to Baja and wasn't willing to take any chances. I've driven at least 20k miles with the harness (and the same fuel pump) and haven't experienced the same thing again.

As for the concept of a parts 'library'-I like it-great idea! I do however think that shelling out any more $$ for FI parts would hurt a bit. Maybe I could be the first honorary member?

Kirk out 88 Westy (with sparkling new FI parts!)