Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         06 Dec 1995 17:45:17 EST
From:         "Tom Forhan" <TFORHAN@hr.house.gov>
Subject:      RE: Reinforced Snow Tires

Clark says

>I currently have some pretty badly worn tires all >the way around and am saving my pennies to buy some >good winter M+S tires. Should I be looking for reinforced >side walls too? If so, why?

Start with your Gross Vehicle Weight as placarded on your car. Divide by four. Each tire has to be capable of carrying this number; look on your existing tires to see if they are rated for that weight. Many POs cheap out and buy the correct size, but don't shell out for the correct weight capacity for those heavy Westphalias. The reinforced sidewalls carry the weight safely, and also give you better control because the tires aren't squirming around under all that extra weight.

Now, it doesn't have to say "Reinforced Sidewall" on the tire, just get a Load Rating C or D, or LT (Light Truck) series. These all have the stronger sidewall.

>Do you think all four, or can I get by with just two?

Presuming you have a two-wheel drive vanagon, running snows on the rear will allow you to accelerate in snow, but only two wheels have traction available for braking. Four snows give you traction on four wheels, thus four wheel braking and a better grip for steering.

Its tempting to think it is just tire company hype advising us to buy four snows, but it makes good sense.

>But I know I could use the $ for lift tickets if I could get >by with some all season solution.

My all season recommendation, originally Derek Drew's suggestion, is the BF Goodrich AT in 27x8.5x14. Nice open tread for gripping snow and mud, but quiet enough not to bother us on a long cross-country trip. Use them year round, they were fine in Death Valley at 106 degrees. Both syncros and 2wd vanagon members on the list are running them, indeed, one listmember (with 2wd) commented that they were a "poor man's syncro"! (With maintenance costs, actually it is the syncro owner who has to worry about being the poor man;-).)

Caution, though, if you are just fitting into a garage: the 27x8.5x 14 are a tad oversize, and will increase your height by about an inch.

I got mine from the Tire Rack (interest disclaimer) for significantly less than local quotes, they were about $86 each, if my memory is still working....

Tom F. 90 Syncro Westie 87 Syncro GL 90 Audi 200 TQW IA Stage I