Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Dec 1995 21:35:22 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      Heat exchanger wierdness, repost

Folks, sorry if this is a duplicate- I didn't see the original come back on digest mode and I'd like a little advice: Little Martha, my '70 single cab, came with heat exchangers modified for three-bolt flanges rather than slip fittings. But there were no arms on the flapper valves- someone tore them off. So following the Bentley instructions, we pried off the cover over the left side (FIF) flapper and saw that the flap pivot was retained by 'C' shaped metal bands which were pinched shut. Using a screwdriver, I pried open the 'C' and freed the flapper.

The heat exchangers I bought for $25 each at a local dismantler both had intact arms on the flaps. When we pried the cover off the left side one, we could see seamless tubes, not 'C' shaped bands, holding the flap pivots. My brother, clever man that he is, suggested I could hack-saw the tubes to produce something I could then pry appart. The saw notched the side of the arm, but nothing serious. A few minutes saw work and I pried the now 'C' shaped pivot holder open and removed it. unlike the ones in Little Martha's most recent heat exchanger, the one I'd just liberated had two brass bands around the pivot to serve as bearings. Inspection showed the old flaps had grooves from being sawn free of their retainers at some point in the past!

Soon the new left-side flap was nestled down in its "C" shaped retainter, and I was gently pinching the retainer shut with my vice grips. So far, so good, AND I've got something to pass on. And on top of that, the faces of the flap are hung on with a cotter pin, so a good flap mechanism can have new-old sealing surface put on should one desire.

The old right side flap came out without problem, and when it did I could see that the DPO or DPPO or whomever had installed these had actually installed them wrong-way-around- the remains of the arm that is supposed to operate the flap were on the wrong side (outside) of both heat exchangers. The left was on the right side, the right was on the left. I guess it doesn't matter when it can't be operated anyway, but the idea....

When I finished prying and sawing on the new-old right side exchanger, I was in for a surprise. Although the flapper was in good shape, the arm *was on the wrong side!" From my carefully purchased left and right side heat exchangers, I'd gotten two left side flappers! I'd had to saw both of the new ones, so they were as-built by the factory.... I guess I just hacksawed some rare piece of trivia! Closer look at that heat exchanger showed that it lacked the operating lever pivot that the other new-old exchanger and both that came with Little Martha had....

So here's my question: the left side, which is intact, has the operating arm 180 degrees from the flapper itself. The right side, whee I don't have an intact unit for example, has to fit around the starter. the wrong-side flapper I do have has its arm not at 180 degrees. What angle should the arm be?

Cheer! Bill