Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Dec 1995 22:04:20 -0500
From:         brigstoc@astral.magic.ca (John & Dianne Brigstocke)
Subject:      Re: Roof top storage box

Ed Pyrik wrote: >I have a 1990 Vanagon GL camper. I am looking for a storage box to fit into >the rooftop depression at the front of the van. The VW deal had a canvas type >bag which they wanted $250 which I didn't like. Would like to know what is out >there, preferably in fiberglass. >

We use the grey coloured commercial version of the Armed Forces 'footlocker'. It is made of plastic and is available in black, grey and some other colours. Samsonite is the maker and it is referred to as a 'Footlocker'. It has a hinged lid and a lid stay to hold it open. It is watertight (almost water proof but some gets in if driving in a hard rain) and has 2 clasps and a place for a padlock if you wish. Two of them will fit side by side across the van with almost no free space. They fit best facing backwards (hinge to the front) Then you can access them from inside the van if you wish. I hold them down with a single ratchet/strap(?) arrangement. We purchased a replacement just last june ( someone stole the first from a campsite) from a local luggage shop for $90.00 cdn (+ taxes). I think list was $110.00 each. They are strong enough to double as a seat if your stuck and can stack easily. Our only problem is that when we want to take the canoe we have to find room for them inside.

John & Dianne Brigstocke Unionville, Ontario (Canada) brigstoc@astral.magic.ca