Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 6 Dec 1995 22:47:00 -0900 (AKST)
From:         JOHNSON THOMAS H <rsthj@aurora.alaska.edu>
Subject:      Our Alaska Trip (long)

As some of you folks are coming up the Alcan this summer, we thought we'd recount our adventure. It started out with a bottle of red wine and one too many episodes of Northern Exposure. The subject of Alaska came up, and being thoroughly disgusted with California, we decided to move to Fairbanks sight unseen. One month later we quit our jobs, had a garage sale, sold our Dodge Colt, and headed off to Alaska in our two Volkswagens: a '66 Bus and a '63 Bug towing a very heavy trailer. Both vehicles were loaded to their roofs with our belongings and our 2 cats, and our trailer was filled with our necessities (a waterbed, dresser, spare engine, drill press, etc.) The fact that it was December didn't phase us a bit.

The first part of the trip was fairly uneventful. We hit our first snow of the trip at Mt. Shasta. It was in the 20's (that's +20's), and it seemed really cold at the time. We encountered a more serious snowstorm near Williams Lake in Canada. The rocker panel under the side doors in the bus is nonexistent. This created our own personal indoor blizzard. The snow blew up into the bus, covering everything we owned (including our cats.) Nothing a little cardboard couldn't fix. Unfortunately, duct tape doesn't stick when it's cold.

We plowed on just fine for a few more days, and then it was Christmas Eve. Time for gathering with friends and family in a warm, cozy home while drinking hot toddies? Not for these adventurers! Time to blow out our first trailer tire. First in a series of four such escapades. Pulled the tire off the trailer, drove 40 miles up the road to the next town (Toad River), got it fixed, and drove back. We continued on to Toad River together, where it blew again. By this time, it was 7pm on Christmas Eve and everyone was closed. Did this phase our fearless duo? No! Time to heat up some beanie-weenies and call it a night. By the way, did we mention we were camping? Yes, camping. In December. In Canada. In a not-so-well-sealed bus.

Woke up on Christmas day and couldn't find help in Toad River. So, pulled the tire off the trailer, drove 35 miles up the road to the next town (Muncho Lake), got it fixed, and drove back. (Deja vu?)

We made it to Liard Lodge by Christmas evening. If you have a chance to stay here, do it. It's run by very friendly people who fed us a wonderful Christmas dinner, free-of-charge.

The next day, Boxing Day, we only made it as far as Watson Lake. We splurged and got a hotel room, with high hopes for making good distance the next day. We woke up to our third flat trailer tire. While waiting for this tire to be fixed, we were approached by a nice gentleman named Bill. Seems Bill's Subaru had broken down, and he needed a ride to White Horse. His Dad, a pilot, would pick him up there and fly him on to Anchorage. We decided sure, what the hell, there's always room for one more.

We cleared a tiny spot for him in the bug, cleared a tiny spot for his luggage in the bus, and were on our way again. Till we reached Rancheria, where we intended to stop for a quick bite to eat. Unfortunately, one of our cats intended to stop for quite a while longer. 4 hours to be exact, trembling under a shed, while we searched for him. During the search party, we took the bug and trailer out on some side roads trying to find him. Yep -- you guessed it -- flat number four. (Bill, who helped us search for the damn cat, didn't seem to be well-prepared for the cold. Not nearly as well-prepared as you would expect from someone who'd grown up in Alaska. We didn't think much of it -- maybe he just had hearty Alaskan blood.)

Fixed the flat, found the cat. (Hmmmm, almost sounds like a line to a song. Joel? ;-) )

We pressed on to White Horse. By then it was about 2am, and we were slowly cruising the streets in search of a motel. Must've looked kinda suspicious, because we were pulled over by the Royal Canadian Mounties. (No, they weren't mounted at the time. They were cruising in style in Fords.) When they heard we were looking for a warm place to stop, they pointed us towards a doughnut shop. Some things are universal.

After dropping off Bill and his luggage at the doughnut shop, we found a place to sleep for the night. We made Alaska within a couple days and settled into the Fairbanks life. End of story, right? Well, not quite.

Two months later we received a call in the middle of the night from the Alaska State Troopers. It seems that they'd found a fellow who claimed to be Thomas H. Johnson and was working as a commercial fisherman in Sand Point. "Bill" aka John Skarsvog had snagged Tom's birth certificate out of the bug's glove box and set up his own separate little identity in Sand Point. Bill/John/Tom was an escaped felon/mental patient from Michigan who had stolen a Subaru and tried his luck in getting to Alaska. His luck held out, thanks to this travelling twosome. (Kinda explains the lack of cold weather gear, doesn't it?) And the luggage? No less than a stolen AK-47. Guess the Royal Canadian Mounties would've liked to have known about that. The Alaska State Troopers informed us that Bill/John/Tom was being extradited to Michigan, and they'd send along the birth certificate to us after it had been used for evidence.

End of story? Well, not quite yet. . . .

8 months passed. Tom, finishing up his shift at the Fairbanks Airport at midnight, headed for home. Who should decide to pull him over but the Alaska State Troopers? They very cautiously approached the bus, and asked Tom if he had any aliases. The correct response is not "chuckle, I bet you're thinking about John Skarsvog!" Nope, definitely not the right response. Unless you get a thrill out of being arrested at gunpoint and toted down to the Fairbanks Correctional Center. Seems to be that the Alaska State Troopers forgot the minor detail of clearing Tom's name out of the computer. The fact that he and John Skarsvog were the same height, build, and coloring didn't help matters much. He sat in the pokey for about two hours while they called him "John." Not a pretty picture. Finally, accepting the fact that Tom did not share the feature of being covered in tattoos, the Troopers let him go.

End of story? Certainly hope so!

Tom and Sharon