Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 1995 14:14:42 -0600 (CST)
From:         Bob Hufford <bhufford@mail.orion.org>
Subject:      V6anagon: Get your kicks on Rte 66 /f

Bob Hufford has kindly allowed me to forward a message via his system:

Day 1 of V6anagon 66 tour:

Hi, all...

Loaded up two BIG suitcases with parts, bits&pieces, tools, and a few clothes. Airlines allow 70# per bag, I'm pushing it pretty hard. Step out, lock the door, pick up both cases, and *pow*... handle breaks right off one suitcase. Hope this isn't an omen. Some fast work with a spare belt, and I'm off.

At San Diego Airport, notice the sky cap hefting the bags with a frown. A large tip changes his expression remarkably, and the bags sail on thru with no further problem. Carried the briefcase, which itself weighs 35# (heavy- but-not-large tool carrier), told the lady at the X-ray station I had tools inside, would she like me to open it? She smiled, put it on the conveyor. I stepped thru, didnn't get beeped, and found two suspicious guards waiting with my briefcase. I smiled, expalained about the tools, and opened it. They were confused, and especially curious about the ball-joint fork, which one guard was feelint the points on. I smiled, smiled, and they finally let me go.

Later on the plane, I helped a stewardess with her bag, whic was somewhat heavy too. Afterward, said "here, try mine". was fun to see the look on her face when she took the little briefcase. Craftsman wrenches aren't light.

Baggage didn't get lost in Denver, whose new terminal looks like a side view of a meringue pie. Connected thru to Springfield, MO, stepped off the plane wondering how I would recognize Bob Hufford (who had volunteered to give me a ride)... then almost immediately saw a man with a tolerant smile and a large VW emblem, from the front of a '62 bus he told me later. Some languages are universal, I guess. We headed for his car (a VW, of course), and set off into the great unknown to meet the newest member of the family.

Stay tuned to this list for more exciting installments....

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '71 VW Transporter '80 V6anagon, coming soon to a listmember near you!