Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 1995 16:22:04 -0500
From:         "Morris H. Arthur" <marthur@gibbs.oit.unc.edu>
Subject:      Recirculating heat in '74-'79 camper

Has anyone tried to duct inside air to the intake of the stock auxiliary heater fan that hangs over your engine ?

I'm thinking about committing all heat to the front of the bus and using the heat ducts under the back seat and between the backs of the front seats as return heat vents.

And if I were really slick, I could use the heat directer box thingy that was previously meant to control the flow of heat to the front or to the rear of the bus for selecting between "fresh air" heat or recirculated heat.

Did anyone understand that Friday stream of consciousness???? OK, here are the steps I'm proposing:

1) Remove the heat direction box underneath the bus and replace with one continuous tube (dryer venting, pvc pipe, abs pipe, insulated: whatever's best.)

2) The just-removed heat direction box has two big openings (to the engine and to the front) and two smaller openings (one ducted to a vent between the front seats and the other under the back seat.) Leave the two smaller ducts connected and duct the output end of the box (the one that was attached to the front duct) to the intake of the heater fan above your engine. (I haven't figured out how to do this yet...)

3) And to be slick...cover the intake of the box (what used to be ducted to the engine) with a screen and position it that you can get maximal fresh air and minimal road splatter. Now, the cable on your dash is no longer a "rear heat/defrost" switch: it's a "fresh heat/recirculated heat" switch. Actually, I think there are a few cables hooked to this lever: "down" is all defrost and "up" is front floor and rear vents...oh, well, I guess one should set up another lever if you still want to choose between driver feet vents and defrost.

4) So when the heat is on, all of it comes out at the front foot vents or defrost. By operating a lever, one can choose if the heat intake is fresh air from underneath the bus or recirculated air from the rear vents. Obviously, an inline blower (mounted somewhere up front?) would aid flow...

So, should I do it ????

--------------------------------------------------------- Morris Arthur < morris_arthur@unc.edu > Environmental Sciences and Engineering University of North Carolina