Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Dec 1995 16:10:40 -0500
From:         djenkins@foxboro.com (Drew Jenkins)
Subject:      RE: Alternator & O2 lights on

Mike,

There is no need to chastise yourself simply because you mis-read the original question. You were trying to be helpful.

I believe the nature of this list allows us to post our opinions, and those that read the opinions should remember how much the reader paid for the opinion.

I'm going to check the alternator and voltage regulator tonight. It looks like one of these is suspect, hopefully not the alternator.

> I shouldn't have said anything at all, which is what I did after the first > post when I saw that the problem was complex, even though I misunderstood > about the lights. > > 1) Depending on the residual magnetism for your specific > alternator, it may be quite normal for the ALT and OXS lights to > remain on after a start until the engine once exceeds about 1000 > rpm. Some of us see that, others don't. Both are OK.

I've not seen this before.

> 2) I re-read your original post. No, it is not OK for the idiot > lights to come back on after you are driving. Unless your > (Drew's) wife had just started the car, this means a charging > system failure.

Hence, the alternator and voltage regulator check.

> 3) Since the idiot lights now go off after the initial time past > 1000 rpm, I would guess that your problem is intermittent and is > now gone away. Some clues may be found in the answers to the > following questions: > > a) Did the idiot lights used to work as I described them? No > > b) Do the idiot lights now work as I described them. No

> It is now time for me to shut up.

Ok, maybe just this time, but don't let it stop you from adding your comments in the future.

Drew