Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         08 Dec 1995 18:02:18 EST
From:         "Tom Forhan" <TFORHAN@hr.house.gov>
Subject:      DOA: 87 Syncro GL

It finally arrived at 11:45 last night, and is pretty much as advertised. 114,000 miles.

Engine has a hole roughly the area of a quarter, but very irregular, on the top of the case on the left hand side. No coolant visible in the plastic fill tank. Oil overfilled, grungy.

Color is white, looks like original paint, grey interior, matches my 90. Body has taken a hit from behind: big dent up high on right side like it was backed into a lightpost, rear bumper pushed in slightly, you cannot pull down the license plate bracket fully, very difficult to get water and oil in there. Significant dent in the roof over the drivers seat, maybe a heavy tree limb... its a little strange. Some rust in lower body panels. Relatively new off brand "Standard Load Rating" M+S tires, 195x70x14, I think. Steel wheels.

Title indicates Prior Owner (PO) only had it nine months, and 9000 miles. Some interesting paperwork in glove box. Earlier owner's name and address on a receipt for a $555 brake job 12,000 miles ago. I'll try to contact him to learn more history. Two weeks after he bought it PO took it to a mechanic with the complaint: "oil light on, oil buzzer on"; The mechanic changed the oil, nothing else. That was 8000 miles ago.

Well, the first thing is to get the engine out, with the help of Jim Davis' post and my Bentley. I also will talk to the two prior owners and the mechanic to see if I can learn more about the condition of the power train.

I contracted with a commercial car carrier I found advertising in Hemmings to deliver the vehicle. As an interesting sidelight, the other thing he was carrying on his two vehicle trailer was a 1937 Pierce-Arrow "Travelodge" trailer. It was small, about 18 feet, filled with beautiful woodwork and beveled glass. The fellow said he pulled it out of a Montana cornfield, and it was going to its new owner in Florida. It looked like the perfect thing for a retro tour of America.