Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Dec 1995 15:58:35 -0800
From:         Pat.Spragge@wj.com
Subject:      Re: New guy on list need feedback

Just a quick note with respect to the leaking heater core.

There is a seal (square cross-section o-ring) at the joint between the valve and the heater core. This hardens with time and heat and may start leaking. Tightening the two small bolts won't stop the leak. An easy test is to put a little side to side pressure on the joint which should cause a rush of coolant to squirt out.

So before you condemn your heater core, check it out. $1.00 vs. $80 and up.

Pat S.

______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________ Subject: New guy on list need feedback Author: EF0JPB1@mvs.cso.niu.edu at INTERNET Date: 12/8/95 5:25 PM

>From: ajax@WHY.NET(ajax) >Subject: New guy on list need feedback

>If these questions have been recent threads, feel free to just email >me directly. Any replies are greatly appreciated!

>Greg

Actually, I think ALL of these have been recent threads.

In answer to your questions:

1) Yes, Bentley seems to be oblique sometimes.

2) Yes, if your rear heater core leaks, turn it off until you can replace it. If shutting it off solves the leaking problem, then the core is bad, not hoses. Prevailing viewpoint is that repair of these is difficult but doable.

3) Defroster vent cable...now what was that solution?

4) Yes, vanagon parts are expensive and everyone has an opinion on where to go for replacements. Bus Boys has some Vanagon parts too. Some have been unhappy with Parts Place, Inc.

5) Driving in snow/ice with a Vanagon (2WD) is not a major problem if you have good rubber, but remember your weight is in the back when you turn or you fishtail big time.

6) You should not need to block off your radiator on a trip to Milwaukee unless it gets way below zero (F).

7) The Old Bus Rescue Squad (northern Illinois chapter) is here in DeKalb, Illinois if you need help in the area. I believe your Vanagon qualifies as old enough.

Any one else?

-Jim Bryant