Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 08 Dec 1995 16:36:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@PO2.GI.COM>
Subject:      V6anagon/Route 66: Day 4, Home at last /L

V6anagon/Route 66: Day 4

Got up in Albuquerque, checked the V6anagon over as the sun swam somewhere below the horizon. Right front tire seems to be wearing a little more-- better get that alignment pronto when I get home. But now I have 800 miles to drive, one day to do it in, and a vague memory from years past, of totalling two different cars while driving when sleepy. Came out of each crash with no injuries, to self or others; but third time could be the charm. Let's not find out. Can't do much Route-66ing today.

Drive thru Gallup is uneventful. After half an hour, cautiously push the speed up to 70, and the V6anagon responds like it's been doing it all its life, which maybe it has. No sign of any wheel shimmy, even as I asked myself sternly if I wasn't maybe indulging in a little selective feeling based on wishful thinking. Better enjoy it while it lasts-- although my '69 bus is the only car I've ever known to cure its own ills (inoperative horn, squeaky speedo) with no touch from a human, I would be silly to expect this to last, this far from home.

After years of driving breadloaves, I'd forgotten how much fun it was to pass Toyotas while going up hills. And the V6anagon seems solid and reliable (in my fertile imagination, anyway)-- able to take abuse and keep right on keepin' on. A very different experience from my usual VW karma. Course, if the engine goes boom ten minutes from now, or the left front tire or whatever, I'll be left with egg on my face. Won't be the first time.

We climb and climb out of Albuquerque and Gallup. The V6anagon handles it beautifully at 65-70 in fourth. I had a Ford E300 van with a 302 V8 in Colorado, that couldn't do that. Stop for fuel in Continental Divide, NM, where the curio shop owner bemoans the unseasonably warm weather and complete lack of percipitation. I commiserate, while secretly thanking the Powers That Be for keeping the route clear until I can get thru. It's around 32F, but the Volvo heater keeps things warm, except my tootsies. But after 5 years living in Minneapolis and points north, I know this isn't bad... if your feet feel cold, it's OK. It's when you can't feel them at all, that you should worry, and we haven't reached that stage-- probably won't, since the sun is coming up. I pick up more 66 souvenirs for my son (6), plus a plaque very appropriate to my single-parent status, and push on.

V6anagon is running easily now-- only 20# needed on the accelerator instead of 30#. We go by a spectacular hot-air balloon launch about 30 miles west of Albuquerque-- 30 or 40 balloons clustered together, just off the ground. A large,red mesa is just behind them, and many are throwing shadows on it-- an awesome sight. Naturally, my camera is inop-- only mechanical failure I've had in the trip. This isn't "The" launch I've seen in postcards, anyway (can you say, Sour Grapes?). The Albq Balloon Festival attracts hundreds of balloons-- this is only maybe 40.

Gallup is a small, pretty town nestled in the high mountains of NM, but I don't stop to look-see. Next stop, the Meteor Crater just past Winslow, AZ (you didn't really think I was going to completely forego ALL sightseeing, did you?

It's impressive-- according to the literature at the visitor's center, a big rock, mostly made of iron, half the length of a football field, fell from the sky about 50K years ago. 2% of it vaporized (ablated, for you rocketry types) as it sliced thru the atmosphere, and the rest made a crater about a mile across and half a mile deep. They say the impact dissipated the energy of a 35-megaton nuke-- all from a big rock going really fast when a planet got in its way.

Last thing mentioned in the brochure about this event that happened about 50,000 years ago, is that such massive collisions are extremely rare, happening (on average) only once about every... uh... 50,000 years. With a quick glance at the sky, I beat a hasty retreat in the direction of Flagstaff.

Fill up in Flagstaff, a nice, mostly modern looking town in a beautifully forested part of AZ (Arizona has forests? You betcha). Waste an hour looking for a hobby shop that carries Nyrods (I find out later that these are too flimsy for accelerator cables anyway), then call Rusty VanBondo as per his kind invitation. Two hours later, roll thru Phoenix and stop to chat. No problem with recognition this time-- he looks just like his drawings in the NEATO newsletter. He hides his skepticism at the V6anagon's heart transplant, checks over the van with compliments and encouragement as I stand by with fatherly pride (even though all I did was buy the damned thing from the PO who did all the work), breaks out chips and pop, and we feast while observing his VW Shrine. I express regrets over not meeting his charming wife Cherry Van Bondo, but approve heartily the sticker in the rear window of the single cab he's driving, which says simply, "TOO SLOW? TOO BAD!", and say sayonara. Or maybe Auf Wiedersehen, out of consideration for what we both drive. Or maybe Later, Dude... out of consideration to what's in the back of my bus.

South past Casa Grande as darkness falls, hang a right on I-8, and point the V6anagon at San Diego. I already feel sleepy-- hey, it's only six o'clock, and I still have 350 miles to go! Between the seats is an ice chest full of Coke, and it looks like I'll need it. Only remaining worries (aside from things that might go boom in the night-- none did), are finding gas stations open on a late Sunday night in the wasteland between Phoenix and the ocean, and staying concious enough to keep the V6anagon from becoming part of the landscape, along with its driver.

An interminable time of shaking my head, bouncing around in the seat, slapping myself, driving with my head out the window in the 70 mph wind blast... plus one interlude west of Yuma, high in the mountains where I find a surprise inspection point of the Border Patrol. This wakes me up instantly, in time to stutter through inquiries of why the van has Texas plates (well, one plate. Thank God they weren't curious about the shiny marks around the screws holding it on, or the complete lack of stickers), while it has various Missouri stickers on the windshield. While staring blankly at him (my best Dumb look), I notice that his buddy is sliding under the V6anagon, checking for unauthorized passengers or strange botanical collections, I guess. The buddy slides out, and the officer says I can go. I don't argue, but book on toward the coast.

Arrive in San Diego without running anyone off the road, at about midnight, feeling like a zombie. For the first time I shut down the V6anagon without a checkover, grab the first items that come to hand from the back, stumble into the condo, and fall into bed. Finally able to watch the world spin before my eyes without fear, the last few moments as I fade out bring the brief thought...

"Joel, change the stats, please..."

Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon, no longer "soon" '71 VW Transporter, FS