Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 09 Dec 1995 22:45:37 EST
From:         Crazed Idiot <sbart7kb@s850.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Breadloaf bus ducting

Hey all, I was thinking about the recommendations for those fans you can buy at boating stores to improve defrosting efficiency. I'm having trouble imagining things, so if you could help me out I'd appreciate it.

On the top of the bus dash, there's a vent smack in the center and there are two more defroster vents, one on each side. Are all these vents connected to the heat line or is it just the one in the middle or is it just the ones on the side? I'm thinking it's just the one in the middle and I'm thinking the ones on the sides are for fresh air and not heated air. Could someone clear this one up for me? By the way, I'm speaking of late model buses, like '77-'79.

Also, how big are these boating fans? Could you conceivably install one in line with that big round heat hose under the bus to speed heat flow while perhaps purchasing two more smaller fans, one to be installed inline with the fresh air ducting andn one to be installed with the defroster ducting or are fresh air and defroster ducting one in the same? Is three fans overkill or what?

Here's what i'm thinking -- one larger fan in line with the big heat tube under the bus for the express purpose of speeding heater flow. This fan would be placed toward the front of the tube, so it would probably also help defroster flow quite a bit. I was also thinking of a smaller fan to help with fresh air flow, as fresh air flow is nonexistent when the bus isn't moving and it's a bitch to keep the windows clear in a VW in a summer rainstorm if you're in traffic (been there, had a bug with same fresh air system). If the defroster ducting is separate from fresh air ducting, perhaps a third fan to help with that if the fan in line with the big tube isn't enough (which it probably would be).

So, I would like to know what is the deal with the defroster/fresh air ducting. Is it the same or is it two separate systems or are they connected and if so, how? I'm betting that they're connected somehow. I can envision a nice little setup with three little toggle switches mounted on a single panel under the dash to do the job. I don't want to overload the electrical system, but all of these hypothetical fans would not be running at the same time except in the even of some freak weather occurence :) . Am I thinking about this too hard or does some of this make sense? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sean {