Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1995)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Dec 1995 08:56:34 -0600 (CST)
From:         "Joseph F. Fournier II" <jfourni@comp.uark.edu>
Subject:      Re: retorquing heads

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995 mbushore@icaen.uiowa.edu wrote:

> > I spoke with Victor at GEX a few weeks ago, and > he mentioned that it was standard procedure to retorque > the lower head bolts. > > Being in college, and feeling rebellious, I am > wondering what good it does to only retorque the lower bolts. > If anything, wouldn't it make things worse by screwing up > the pressure distribution?

I would think so. Bob Hoover recommended pulling the engine and retorquing all head bolts at 300 miles. Apparently that's what VW did and according to Bob, failure to return for that 300 mile checkup/retorquing could void the warranty.

> > Why torque the heads down really tight at all?

Retorquing doesn't imply tightening beyond specs. It means retightening TO specs. I think the logic goes that vibration and heat allow the torqued bolts to settle some...thus losing the to-spec torque that you provided originally. Retorquing puts everything back to where it ought to be...sort of like that disclaimer on the cereal box: some settling of contents may occur.

> Does it hold ignition compression? Or is it a guard against > a fatigue failure of something or the other? >

Apparently lots (possibly most) folks don't retorque the heads. Apparently these folks suffer from more little nagging oil leaks and probably loose at least a few thousand miles of longevity on their engines.

> I *might* do them when I drop the engine to do the pressure plate, > which is coming far, far too soon.

I can't imagine not doing it at that point. You're 45 minutes or less from having the job done right with that engine sitting there waiting for the pressure plate. (And I'm a SLOW "mechanic")

Good luck! Joe

---------------------------------------------------------- Joseph F. Fournier II <jfourni@comp.uark.edu> 501.575.7353 <a href="http://comp.uark.edu/~jfourni/"> Joe Fournier</a> ---------------------------------------------------------- | "If a thing worth having is worth working for, my bus | | must be worth it's weight in gold." -- me \/ | ------------------------------------------------\/\/------